All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Urgent Question!
      #172930 - 04/23/05 09:42 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

I have an important question. I have an important family get together next week, and I have been diagnosed with 'IBS, with constipation.' I have recently started Heather's diet, and I've realized that her diet includes no alcohol.
I am 100% Irish, my father owns a bar, and I believe it will be extremely difficult not to drink at various times in my life. Is there a way to still drink and not suffer? Like drink tons of water during the day, and be able to drink during the night?? Or ..something?!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Urgent Question! new
      #172932 - 04/23/05 09:50 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Quite a few of us find that after we are stable we can tolerate a glass or two of a few types of drinks alright. And that's only after SF. However, before you're stable, drinking alcohol (or just any trigger) will just set you back.

Drinking water through the day will only help with the hangover! Btw, beware of Guinness in particular...I can't have any type of stout now...it's too strangely gassy. The only type I was hospitalised with IBS was after trying a different kind of stout at the pub!

PS. If I EVER have more than two small glasses of wine (or equivalent) in a session, I'm crippled...and I've been stable for about 2 years!

Re: Urgent Question! new
      #172937 - 04/23/05 10:03 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Yeah, people vary on alcohol tolerance. I found myself allergic to beer and wine, but I can drink hard liquor as long as I've had a good meal before hand. Not like, crazy amounts though. That ends badly.

Jenny new
      #172939 - 04/23/05 10:18 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Just want to say how nice it is to have you back posting again now that your event is over!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

PS. Do a search on this... new
      #172944 - 04/23/05 10:32 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...it's come up loads before.

Re: Jenny new
      #172951 - 04/23/05 11:23 AM
chinagrl

Thanks!! It's nice to have time to catch up on everything around here and everything in life in general.

#173092 - 04/24/05 09:15 AM
Alli

(My usual choice is beer.)
So there's nothing I can do? I must be honest with you, Im completely crushed. ..This ruined my day entirely.

#173095 - 04/24/05 09:34 AM
chinagrl

If drinking is so important to you than go ahead and do it. It's your body and your choices.

#173097 - 04/24/05 09:49 AM
Alli

I wish I could. Im just finding it hard to give up. I doubt if switching to rum will help, will it? Since beer is carbonated.
I don't know. I just have to think the situation through.

Alcohol... new
      #173129 - 04/24/05 01:02 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Alli

There are some *safer* alcohol choices considering *one* of the problems with alcohol is the mixes. Stay away from anything carbonated, with dairy (obviously!) or with fruit juices (though some people find a bit of cranberry juice in a cape cod or something is ok). A glass of wine is usually a good choice, or sipping straight alcohol with water (i.e. vodka or whisky).

However obviously the other problem with alcohol, as othes have said, is the alochol itself, which is a huge GI stimulant. But you'd have to experiment to test your own tolerances as it really varies with people from 1 mouthful = attack (like me) to a night of drinking in moderation is ok. Or you could just be totally safe and cut it out all together - really your choice in the end of course, as you'll be the one suffering any IBS-related consequences. Kind of just have to weigh the options - night of drinking and next day pain, multiple bathroom trips etc... or no night of drinking.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4861

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review