All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Beano before or Simethicone after?
      #86322 - 07/05/04 05:57 AM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Okay - you have to take 3 beano pills per MEAL - thats 9 a day (or one beano pill per 1/2 cup serving of gassy food!)...thats alot of beano and alot of $$$ for me out the door.

Right now I just find that I'm really bloated (always in the afternoon/evening) and take one simethicone, which works
but it won't PREVENT gas trouble, so I do have to suffer first. I'm wondering if I just take a simethicone at lunch - will it just "take care of" any gas that "decides" to bother me later on?

Fennel Tea - willing to try it, but generally NEVER drink tea - stains the bonding on my teeth like you wouldn't believe!

Your thoughts any other suggestions? EVERY food I eat on this diet, actually on any GOOD carb diet will cause some gas...lots of gas. No way around that. How come there always seems to be a price to pay no matter what I do?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beano before or Simethicone after? new
      #86437 - 07/05/04 11:39 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I take two simethicone every morning as a preventive. Seems to work like a charm for me, might work for you too!

Also, I don't eat beans other than the occasional bowl of split pea soup or lentil soup.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#86662 - 07/06/04 06:02 AM
Hypnogal

Huh. I've been taking one after lunch and after dinner. 2 in the morning? I've read that it won't PREVENT gas - but HEY if you get that stuff in there and gas begins to be created - I cannot see WHY the simethicone would NOT go right ahead and do its thing! It WOULD and I think/like you that it does. Okay, I'm going to try one more day of simethicone after lunch and dinner - but then I'll try a few days of what you do - 2 after breakfast. Yes. I find that this is the ONLY real and only affordable solution to gas (fennel tea/not for me). I'll be checking back in on this thread - thanks so much for answering my posts LauraSue! Lots of lookers I see, but I'm looking for a real response. I like your picture!

#86792 - 07/06/04 10:30 AM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I take my Simethicone almost every day. Usually some time before dinner I take 2 as a preventative. The gas seems to be the most annoying symptom of my IBS and I can't always get it under control but the Simethicone really seems to help. I have not found much help from Beano. The simethicone I find in generic form at drug stores (OTC) and it's usually much cheaper than the name brand.

#86802 - 07/06/04 10:46 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

I love tea but haven't tried the fennel because I heard it tastes like licorice and I hate that stuff unfortunatly! I noticed that you said tea stains your teeth badly. You may want to try a straw. That doesn't prevent it 100% but does help. Hope this helps..

--------------------
~Wookie

#86855 - 07/06/04 12:31 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I can wholeheartedly recommend fennel tea; some say it tastes like licorice, but it's a much milder flavor. Try it with a little honey, honey, and you might like the taste. And boy does it work on gas!
There is also a tea in the Yogi Tea line that's called Stomach Ease (I think) that has fennel, chamomile, and a number of other things. Nice blend of beneficial intestinal herbs, and quite tasty.
As for the staining, I would guess that wouldn't happen too much with either fennel or peppermint tea because they're quite pale in color. I think the staining really only happens with black tea.
Hope this is helpful to you.

#86932 - 07/06/04 02:37 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Thanks, sweetie!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#87008 - 07/06/04 04:17 PM
Hypnogal

Well, I might try it. I have bonding on my teeth/stains very easily with everything that way - a staw..hmm...good idea! I just got my acacia today - maybe that will cut the gas some too. Thanks for responding!

#87132 - 07/06/04 08:38 PM
teethcleaner

Reged: 07/04/04
Loc: California

Hey Sweetpea,
For the staining if you try a whitening toothpaste that will help to keep the stains off, it doesn't remove stains like the commericals say if you read the fine print it keeps your teeth from getting more stain, I worried about that too but I bleach my teeth so if it does stain i'll just bleach the heck out of it gotta have white teeth in my line of work. But you can't bleach your teeth with bondings but try the toothpaste
sorry I saw a subject with teeth in it I had to give my 2 cents

pineapple before
      #87298 - 07/07/04 12:20 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

I don't know if this would work for you, but it's worth a try. I used to cook for hunting camps and firefighter camps, and nasty gas in the night was a dangerous situation, but ham & beans or chili was a requested item on a regular basis. I can't recall now where I learned this, but if you serve fresh pineapple with the meal, it eliminates the followup gas problem for just about everyone (there are exceptions). Canned and frozen pineapple don't work, it's something with the FRESH pineapple. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1606 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4444

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review