All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Raw Cacao Powder?
      #370806 - 01/22/14 03:10 AM
MarcusJ

Reged: 01/22/14

Hi, I'm new to these boards.
What is the consensus on raw cacao powder (such as Navitas Naturals brand)? I know that processed chocolate isn't good, but raw cacao seems like it might be a different story. But I've read everything online from "it's moderately high on the FODMAPS scale" to "It cured my IBS!!"

I'd love to put this stuff into my smoothies, as it tastes great, gives me energy, has high antioxidant qualities, and gives me enough of a "chocolate fix" without the processed chocolate. But I'm just not sure where it stands on the "trigger foods" scale.

Would love to hear any opinions from people who have experience with raw cacao powder.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Raw Cacao Powder? new
      #370807 - 01/22/14 09:08 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Do you mean cocoa powder as in chocolate? It is moderately high in FODMAPs can be used in moderation

Cocoa Powder Moderately High in FODMAPs; What about Chocolate?

BTW - the definitive source information on the FODMAP diet is the book and phone app from Monash University - the developers of the FODMAP approach

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370815 - 01/23/14 11:11 AM
MarcusJ

No, I mean raw cacao powder. This is the raw stuff that all chocolate (including processed cocoa powder) is made from. Google Navitas Raw Cacao Powder Superfood, and you'll see what I mean.

#370818 - 01/24/14 08:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Has 32.02 mg of natural occurring caffeine per 2.5 tablespoons (14.2 grams) serving - AND each serving contains 9 grams or 65% of fiber mostly insoluble fiber. It is not IBS friendly

http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/navitas-naturals-organic-raw-cacao-powder-16-oz.html?osCsid=uu3kf44gop013e2hq1ls19mqu4

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370819 - 01/24/14 09:57 AM
MarcusJ

Thanks for looking that up; I had missed that info.

Well, scratch that off the list, I guess. I find that a REALLY dark chocolate bar (like 85 - 90% cacao content) doesn't seem to bother me that much, if at all, unless I eat too much of it. Milk chocolate, on the other hand, is bad news. So, that got me thinking about cacao powder and its benefits. But yeah, moderately high on FODMAPS and too much caffeine content means it's probably not a good idea.

Thanks.

You could try just plain old unsweetened cocoa powder, new
      #370820 - 01/24/14 10:11 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

like Hershey's. It's very low fat, low caffeine (the caffeine in chocolate is tied to the fat), and high soluble fiber. I love it in baking, smoothies, anywhere you want a hit of dark chocolate without the IBS triggers.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#373540 - 02/10/17 02:32 PM
michelle868

Reged: 07/18/11
Loc: uk

I know this is an old post but just wanted to ask.... Does this mean cocoa powder is OK bit cacao isn't?

--------------------
I've had Ibs all my life and still trying to figure out what to eat??!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 322 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20771

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review