All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS is BACK
      #369581 - 06/04/13 03:31 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

I havent been on this board for awhile...i suffer from panic disorder and ibs....the ibs has been ok for the last several yrs.....just a few days per month with issues. My chronic anxiety became intensified in april 2013...prior to that, it was ok for 1 yr and i was off my low dose of prozac ie 5mg......i restarted the prozac in april 2013....at 5mg.....its helping my mood but anxiety is still not great and in the last 2 weeks, ibs is horrible...gas pains, discomfort, nausea etc.....i wonder if the prozac is making it worse? My diet is ok.....but recently..ie 2 weeks ago, lost my job of 10 yrs...laid off...so lots of worry.....so lots of stress ie return of panic 2 months ago, laid off 2 weeks ago and return of ibs....i just ordered the tummy tamers......i dont have d or c....just gas and lots of it, gas pains at night(not always) and general discomfort and gurgling in the area/nausea.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS is BACK new
      #369582 - 06/04/13 03:56 PM
Mhillqt

Diet: bfast is oatmeal, walnuts and 1/2 banana. Lunch is quinoa, tomatoes , cucumbers with olive oil and whole wheat bread . Dinner is fish or chicken w pasta and tomatoes cucumbers w olive oil. Snack. Drink ice decaf . 6 oz total per day ..spoonful of peanut butter and 1/2apple. Drink 80 oz water daily

#369584 - 06/05/13 04:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Maybe it is time to go back to the basics and remove high insoluble fiber foods such as whole wheat bread, quinoa and peel the cucumbers, deseed the tomatoes. Also remove the apple due to high excess fructose (read the first three links in my signature for more information). After you are stable you can try re-introducing some of these foods again. Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369585 - 06/05/13 07:25 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Stress for me is always the number one issue with IBS....I can always count on my IBS to come back with a vengence. That being said sometimes just acknowledging that can make me feel a little better. Syl's suggestion about going back to basics is a good place to start....try not to overtax your system when it is already stressed. I also find chamomile tea a big help in calming things down. Be kind to yourself, do what you can and remember that you've had things under control before so you can and will do it again Best of luck

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#369587 - 06/05/13 07:18 PM
JKP

Reged: 10/25/11
Loc: North Carolina

I thought the whole wheat bread had + fiber. I thought sour dough was the bread of choice. I take Ativan for anxiety & it has helped for years. I have depression, also now & start a new med for that tomorrow. I had a lactose test last week and that was negative, so requested a dietitian consult, finally. Is decaf tea ok to drink?? I need something cold to drink, I can hardly drink water.

Edited by JKP (06/05/13 07:22 PM)

#369588 - 06/06/13 04:38 AM
Syl

Insoluble fiber

"In general, if a plant food (no animal products contain fiber) seems rough, stringy, has a tough skin, hull, peel, pod, or seeds, be careful, as it's likely very high in insoluble fiber. This is not a comprehensive list of insoluble fiber foods by any means but it should give you the general idea."

The first three items on the list to be avoided:

Whole wheat flour, whole wheat bread, whole wheat cereal
Wheat bran
Whole grains, whole grain breads, whole grain cereals

Sourdough usually is not a whole grain bread.

The problems with whole grains for individuals with IBS was first reported by Prof. Whorwell in the Lancet in 1994 and confirmed a number of times since then. It is a well known IBS trigger

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Yes, decaf teas and herbal teas are fine. -nt- new
      #369589 - 06/06/13 12:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#369600 - 06/11/13 06:51 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey I have been gone for really long time,thought I would check in .
I have the same issues as you.Stress is the major problem for me.I suffer from panic attacks and IBSD mostly.
My IBS has been mostly under control,my panic has not.I do take 5mg of Loraxepam.It works wonders and has given me my life back.
My biggest issue is with gas also and honestly the only thing I have found that works for me is GasX one or two and I can feel it getting better within a few minutes.
Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#369601 - 06/11/13 02:19 PM
Mhillqt

Im curious, Syl, do you suffer from anxiety or is your IBS purely food related? HOw soon after eating an IBS trigger food will you notice symptoms? I know if i eat an apple with skin i will notice it within 1 hour.....but lets say you eat whole wheat bread....would that also be pretty quickly noticed? My IBS got bad again a few weeks back when I 1. Restarted Prozac 5mg 2. Got Laid off and 3. Started to make Quinoa for lunch..........i know stress is a trigger and being laid off is stressful but my gut is telling me that the prozac might be aggravating it and perhaps even the quinoa...which i never ate before 3 weeks ago.....Is quinoa more of a trigger food than other ibs trigger foods? thanks....sorry we have to live with this nightmare of anxiety and ibs.....

#369603 - 06/11/13 06:45 PM
Syl

I don't suffer from anxiety but stress does make my symptoms worse.

If I eat an apple the excess fructose will likely effect me quicker than the skin. It will trigger D and cramps within a hour or two. However, the skins would effect me within a few hours.

I definitely cannot not tolerate quinoa due to it high insoluble fiber content. It is a whole grain like brown rice which Heather claims many can tolerate. I cannot handle either food.

Prozac acts on serotonin receptors. It has GI side effects including nausea and diarrhea with occasional dry mouth, constipation and dyspepsia, It could make IBS symptoms worse.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1966 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8275

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review