All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
frustration with fodmap diet info already
      #368885 - 12/31/12 01:39 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Been on the computer researching this diet for two solid days...haven't even gotten dressed. I have put in an order for IBS Free at Last and have joined a Fodmap FB. On that site, they give updates on what foods have changed since the writing of the book I just bought. What the hell did I just buy the book when the rules change daily? Come on...first it's only 1/2 cup green beans allowed, now supposedly, you can eat any amount? It is impossible and anxiety provoking to try to be on that diet when the rules change every so often. Have no clue what veggies are allowed, how many nuts are okay, ect. The rules keep changing. And now only half cup of sweet potato and turnips? this is making my IBS flare up and I'm not even eating anything off limits. What have I gotten myself obsessed with. What do I do to make sure I am eating clean and safe?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: frustration with fodmap diet info already new
      #368886 - 12/31/12 02:25 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Since you are easily frustrated again let me suggest you find a dietitian in your area that can advise you.

Contact the The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in Chicago at 800-877-1600 or e-mail them knowledge@eatright.org and ask for the name of someone in your area.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368887 - 12/31/12 02:44 PM
Cyndy

I can't call until after the holidays. Syl, how do you do it? How do you keep up with all the changes? Or do you just stick with the first three links in your sig and forget about everything else and not eat anything but your "staple" meals?

Dieticians cost close to 150 dollars a visit. I can't afford that. And I can't find anyone near me so far with the resources I have found...like the link on Patsy Castsos website. I just want to feel better. My tummy is in knots today.

#368888 - 12/31/12 03:02 PM
Syl

Yes - start with one source. Get the book you were going to buy. I believe it has a step by step guide.

Jumping around from information source to information source seems to give you anxiety. Stop!

Also, use the information in my signature until you get the book. This is the information I used for the first 2 years I used the diet.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#368889 - 12/31/12 03:06 PM
Cyndy

the problem is that The Monash institute has already made changes that aren't reflected in the book I just ordered. Even the cheat sheet in your signiture is a bit outdated now. Things have changed (at least some of the veggies). Is your cheat sheet still a good source to follow? I know artichokes are not allowed, even though the chart says they are. And only 1/2 cup of sweet potato, turnips are allowed. And it doesn't address chard or butternut squash at all. What is a silverbeet? I have to try and relax. Thanks for you continual support. Truly appreciated.

#368890 - 12/31/12 03:45 PM
Syl

The changes are minor. You can follow the change in Catsos updates page . The information in my signature is plenty good enough for the moment. Relax - you don't need answers to all of your questions right now.

--------------------

#368891 - 12/31/12 05:00 PM
Cyndy

I check the update page too often. Thanks, though. I am trying to learn all this because the pain has been so disabling. I'm not getting anywhere, though.

Were you aware that your cheat sheet says artichokes are okay?

#368898 - 01/01/13 05:09 AM
Syl

Ah - yes - there is an updated version of the cheatsheet with artichokes moved to the unfriendly section. Apparently there were a couple of other mistakes too. I have updated my link.

Thanks for the heads up

--------------------

#368900 - 01/01/13 11:06 AM
Cyndy

Eggplant is considered low fodmap. Do you know about rutabaga?

#368901 - 01/01/13 11:36 AM
Syl

Kate Scarlata who wrote the first article in my signature has also produce a check list. She says rutabaga (swede) is IBS friendly.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 751 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35776

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review