All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What's next for IBS-C?
      #368636 - 11/24/12 08:15 PM
arnoldmilgram

Reged: 09/16/11

I've been following the diet for about a year and half for my IBS-C. Things have definitely improved, but I'm still not stable and I'm retaining a ton of water. So now I bounce around between two pants sizes instead of four. However, that improvement has given me eczema (my skin is so dry!) and anemia.

It's impossible for me to stick to the diet perfectly between travel and a social life, but my understanding is that I should be able to have the occasional cheat if I can get stable in the first place. Things that seem to work: ground flax seed, digestive advantage pro-biotics. Things that don't work: fennel tea, the hypnosis CDs, fiber supplements (fairly sure I was allergic to acacia), restriction to the most severe form of the diet.

I feel like I've tried it all, and I don't know where to go next except possibly the FOD-MAP route, so I'll get tested for fructose soon. The diet for that is completely confusing as it contradicts some of Heather's recommendations. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do next? I live in Washington DC, is there a dietitian/nutritionist worth talking to?

Any help is much appreciated,
Nicole

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's next for IBS-C? new
      #368637 - 11/25/12 04:58 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is really worth while trying the FODMAP diet. It does contradict some of Heather's guidelines but it has been clinically test on large numbers of individuals with 60-80% reduction in symptoms. It is easy to use Heather's diet in conjunction with the FODMAP diet. The FODMAP diet is spreading rapidly around the world even in well-known GI medical centers. In fact the prestigious King's College London part of the University of London, UK is providing training for dietitian on this dietary approach. You can read about it in Heather's Research Library and the links in my signature. Good luck with the fructose malabsorption test

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368640 - 11/25/12 06:22 AM
arnoldmilgram

Reged: 09/16/11

Thanks Syl. My question is what do I do for contradictions? Apples, yes or no? Wheat, yes or no? Do I keep the general idea of Heather's diet by eating lots of soluble fiber with the FOD-MAP foods? I've read through the links you've provided, but is it too much to ask for a resource like this website and Heather's book for FOD-MAP?

I contacted a dietitian who has a specialty in IBS and is knowledgeable about the FOD-MAP diet so I'll see if that's a good resource. I'm nervous though as she also tests for candida overgrowth and that looks to be junk science. I like this group because it's willing to think outside the box, but insistent on hard clinical evidence for new lines of thinking.

--------------------
IBS-C

#368641 - 11/25/12 07:10 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You can stay with the soluble fiber supplement and eat lots of soluble fiber foods that are FODMAP friendly - there are plenty of them like rice, potatoes, ect.

If there is a dietitian in your city that knows the FODMAP approach then it is a good idea to use that resources. Although the clinical evidence over the past few years has been growing rapidly showing the efficacy of the FODMAP approach there are still relatively few trained dietitians.

The general approach is to go on a low FODMAP diet removing things like apples with excess fructose and wheat/rye with fructans and so on. After one becomes stable you start to introduce foods from the various FODMAP groups until you figure out which groups you are handle.

If you want more clinical evidence I can direct you to more research on the topic

I follow the EFI and the FODMAP diets without too much difficulty

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

UM new
      #368642 - 11/25/12 08:21 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

a note from Heather

By the way, your cheat sheet contradicts your other high FODMAP link. One says artichokes are friendly, the other says they are bad. More inconsistancies.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3677 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2055

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review