All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Shawarma Question
      #361544 - 10/19/10 11:15 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Have any of you (and some of you had to have) eaten Chicken Shawarma?
First, this stuff is awesome, it tastes so smooth and juicy.
I've enjoyed it since being diagnosed with IBS, as it tastes great and my stomach has been able to handle it...with a caveat.

Of late...it seems to be hit or miss.
Sometimes I have my chicken shawarma and it tastes and digests just fine.
Other times. I can get a really bloated/irritated feeling not unlike what happens if I have dairy or cheese.

This perplexes me because I have been eating shwarma, on occassion, for several years. Only in the last 6 months has this occurred.
To be clear...I have chicken shawarma either as a sandwich (with lettuce/tomatoe/hot sauce/garlic sauce) or as a platter with rice/hot sauce/garlic sauce/and pita bread.

I always ask, even if redundant, if the shawarma is marinated in yogurt or has any dairy/butter in it...as well as the rice or garlic sauce.
I always am told no, which makes sense because shawarma is a Lebananon/Israel dish...where dairy is usually NOT mixed with meat at meals.

So I don't understand why this is occurring out of the blue.
My only guess MIGHT be too much garlic sauce (which might be made with oil), but still...I don't you other IBSers...but me...my stomach has certain distinct reactions to dairy and certain to high fat like in oily dishes.
I can tell if I had dairy or had too much fat...and the shawarma at times feels like a dairy reaction.

Thing is...it last about 36 hours...whereas a true dairy could late 72+ hours.

I just want to know
1) If any of you are familiar with shawarma/have had it...and can offer insight on if you tolerate...if it is IBS compatabile...and why I might struggle with it on occassion and what I can to handle it better.

This is a dish I love, which has usually been good with IBS, so I would hate to drop it without good reason or cause.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shawarma Question new
      #361555 - 10/20/10 10:13 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Shawarma is pretty fatty - this website puts it at 15 g per serving. I know the fat and the garlic would bother me a little.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1005 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7090

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review