All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hyoscyamine (Hyomax-SL)
      #361259 - 10/04/10 11:54 AM
Narcissa

Reged: 09/18/10

I have been suffering from IBS for a number of years now, with it getting progressively worse (whether because I am more aware of it, and thus more stressed/anxious, or just because). A couple of years ago a doctor gave me a prescription for Hyomax-SL, because I suffer primarily from cramps/urgency, and occasionally ISB-D. I generally try to avoid having to take medication for the IBS, and only resort to Hyomax and Imodium if I must, but I was just wondering if anyone else out there takes Hyomax, and how they feel about it, whether it helps or not? Sometimes I'm just not quite sure if it is effective, or a useful thing to take with the aim of a longtime solution.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hyoscyamine (Hyomax-SL) new
      #361260 - 10/04/10 02:14 PM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

My daughter was prescribed this. We were never able to discern any improvement. She had been directed to take it when cramping/pain began but no more than 3 doses in a 24 hour period, and at the time 3 doses wasn't getting her past 9 am! So we abandoned it after a few days' trial period. The MD explained that if it were going to help it would have been obvious by that point. My understanding is that some folks do find it gives some relief, but my daughter didn't. Thankfully, she didn't notice any side effects.
Good luck,
kem (12 yr old daughter w/ibs-d)

#361261 - 10/04/10 02:38 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

If I recall, it did slow things down for me and ease the spasms, but it also made me extremely tired and thirsty.

I started out taking it a couple of times a day, then tapered to a couple times a week, then once a month, then not at all. I was able to taper off because of the IBS diet, an SFS 3x/day, and gradually getting better.

#361263 - 10/04/10 03:02 PM
ewolfie7

Reged: 09/23/10

Hi, I've been using it along with Imodium for several years and always carry it with me, just in case. I find that it does work well. I have the 10mg blue capsules but my doctor told me I could double it for very bad attacks. I would only use the increased dose for extraordinary times, since I will not live my life in a bubble and there are times when eating that stuff happens. The side effects are not bad for me. It's trade name, Bentyl,. It's been around a long time and well researched. I've been taking an antihistamine each day and find that even better. Good luck

#361264 - 10/04/10 05:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes I take Bentyl. To keep it working I just take it when really necessary and the side effect is dizziness so I have to have food in my stomach before taking it. It can lead to a little C but I think immodium leads to more C. Bentyl works a little better than pep caps which are kind of a milder from of the same result. I much prefer to take pep caps before needing them than to take Bentyl after.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#361278 - 10/04/10 07:13 PM
Narcissa

Reged: 09/18/10

I have never heard of Bentyl before, but in the quick googling I just did now I see that it is something different than Hyomax-SL; is there one that is recommended above others, or do they generally do the same thing? I have only been taking the hyomax when I have symptoms of cramping, and it doesn't seem to be that effective to get rid of it right away, so I normally turn to Imodium. Should I be taking hyomax even when I don't have symptoms? Is this what others have been recommended by their doctors? Thanks!

#361333 - 10/08/10 12:17 PM
FraggleK

Reged: 09/08/10

I take a low dose of hyoscyamine twice a day, about half an hour before eating. It helps immensely for me. I see a distinct difference in how often I have to move my bowels and what sort of foods I'm able to eat. In general, my system is not very tolerant at all of most IF. Before hyoscyamine, literally the only fruits and vegetables I could eat were applesauce, bananas, zucchini, carrots, asparagus, and cucumber. Everything else I tried provoked a very uncomfortable IBS reaction-- often just shot straight through without being digested at all.

I find that on the hyoscyamine I have to be careful to mind that my BM's don't stop. I don't really mind this as it has permitted me to eat things I haven't been able to enjoy in a long time-- raspberries cooked into GFCF cheesecake, a little spinach, a little canned skinless/seedless tomato. These sorts of things make my diet a lot more bearable and keep the BM's coming, so it's really a bonus of the hyoscyamine use for me.

My main side effects were dizziness, dryness, and blurred vision. The dizziness seems to have gone away as my body adapts to the medication, and the blurred vision is happening less frequently. The dryness persists, but again, it's completely acceptable to me. Dry eyes and mouth are FAR easier to live with than uncontrolled IBS. I just carry water and eye drops.

#361356 - 10/10/10 08:33 AM
Clara818

Reged: 06/08/09

I have found this medication moderately effective. It does not stop my system like Imodium does, but seems to delay my body's response to a meal until several hours later or the next day. My favorite thing about it is that I have tablets that I take sublingually, so I can just pop them in anytime without any water. It does make me sleepy.

I believe its brand name is Levsin; Bentyl is a dicyclomine.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 234 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5658

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review