All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Advice on colonoscopy prep
      #360408 - 08/17/10 09:30 PM
kmw

Reged: 03/29/06

I'm a 20-year-old female. After five years of IBS symptoms, I finally saw a gastroenterologist today, who said that although he thinks I do have IBS, I should have a colonoscopy just to be sure. I've read many of the helpful threads on colonoscopy prep already, but I still have some questions and would really appreciate some advice.

The instructions given to me by the doc say to have only clear fluids the day before, and then to take 4 Dulcolax tablets and two litres of the PEG solution (PegLyte, Klean Prep, or Colyte) between 6 and 9 PM the night before. Then 3 hours before my appointment (which is at 10:30 AM), I am supposed to drink another litre of the solution.

My questions are: A) Does anyone know which of these 3 solutions I should buy - PegLyte, Klean Prep, or Colyte? Is one less awful than the others?

B) Isn't 4 tablets + 3 litres a lot?

C) Is it normal to have to drink another litre of the liquid just 3 hours before the appointment? Won't that mean I'll still be going to the bathroom when I have to leave for his office, and besides, what will I have left to come out mere hours after doing the first two litres?

D) What is the best way to make the solution taste less awful? I've read contradictory advice on Gatorade, Crystal Light, hard candy, etc.

Finally, I notice that the doc's instructions also mention that IF you take sedation, you need help getting home- but the receptionist expressly told me I could go back to work after the procedure, which leads me to believe they aren't planning on sedating me. Does anyone know how this works in Canada- do you decide on the day of that you want to be sedated, or do you need to see your family doctor (GP) beforehand to be prescribed something?

Sorry for such a long post, and thank you so much in advance to anyone who takes the time to help

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Advice on colonoscopy prep new
      #360410 - 08/18/10 04:16 AM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

kmw,

I am in Canada and there was no IF I took sedation.
I was not given the choice, it was just the way they did it.
I did have a ride home, of course, and there was no way I could have returned to work after, had I been still working...I'm retired...
But remember we are all different and I do tend to take a tad longer to recover from any sedation. And I think that what your job entailed would be a factor as well.

I didn't worry about the taste of the stuff, just guzzled it down and got it over with.

The system needs to be absolutely perfectly clear for the test to be the best it can be and even though you think that there is no way that there can be any more to come out there are people who are still not fully cleansed after that amount of prep solution. Again we are all different and they need to make sure that they have the highest percentage possible of a fully evacuated bowel to do the test.

Hubby went through the prep with barely a disruption to his day and I on the other hand could not venture out the door!

Be prepared to snuggle in for the duration.
And even though you didn't ask....I wish that someone had told me.....slather your butt in some kind of cream/lotion/ ointment as a protective measure. Zinc/diaper rash cream/etc will help immensely in keeping you way more comfortable.

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-D

#360411 - 08/18/10 05:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

[A] They all contain the same ingredient - polyethylene glycol. I believe all of them are lightly flavored.

[B], [C] Check the instructions that come with the product. However, it sounds like you have the right information.

[D] No need to add anything as most products have a mild flavor.

It would be unusual if they didn't sedate you. In Canada they usually, the use a fast, short acting drug that is reversible i.e. the effects of the drug can be reversed by another drug. While you can likely go back to work you may find you feel a bit strange but not unpleasant for a while.

It will all work out just fine

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360420 - 08/18/10 09:54 AM
Legalgirl

Reged: 08/09/10

Well, I live in the U.S., but I can definitely agree with the other two ladies. This is NOT something you would not want to be sedated for. WAY too unpleasant! My ex-husband had one when he woke up before they were finished and he described it to me (shudder!). The colyte that you are taking about-is it a powder that is dissolved with water, or is in a bubbly liquid in a small bottle. I've had both, but it would be helpful if I knew.

There's really good advice for this on the Crohn's board new
      #360421 - 08/18/10 12:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

as a sticky post here colonoscopy prep

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#360446 - 08/19/10 04:34 PM
kmw

Reged: 03/29/06

Thank you so much for all the advice everyone. Glad to hear sedation is pretty routine- the way it is phrased on the doc's instruction sheet makes it sound like it's unusual to be sedated! Just one last question (sorry)- typically do they give you the sedative there at the gastro clinic right before the colonoscopy, or are you supposed to get a prescription and pick it up beforehand at a pharmacy (like with an MRI)?

#360448 - 08/19/10 05:05 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Probably you will get it at the clinic. I don't know if drugs like Versed are dispensed to the public. It couldn't hurt to call the doctor's office and ask.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360449 - 08/19/10 05:25 PM
Jerryn

Reged: 02/22/04
Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

I'm from Canada too and I agree with Tai. I had no choice about sedation- it was administered and for me, I always plan to take the rest of the day off as it takes me time to get over the after affects. as mentioned we are all different

#360450 - 08/19/10 05:28 PM
Jerryn

Reged: 02/22/04
Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

In Eastern Canada we get ours administered via IV just before the GI doc will proceed. For me, it starts working before he can finish explaining what he will be doing....

#360458 - 08/19/10 07:22 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

Got mine by IV too just before the proceedure.
Out for the count before I could count to 2....lol.

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 642 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9983

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review