All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone Have IBS Due To Colon Resection?
      #358301 - 05/02/10 02:57 PM
godsfreshfire

Reged: 05/02/10
Loc: Virginia

Due to a losing battle 5 years with diverticulitus I had to have emergency surgery in February. 6 Weeks later after a successful surgery and back to work I experienced gut pain so bad I was afraid my resection had been compromised. After a 3 day stay in the hospital including my Emergency Room visit my surgeon told me I had acquired IBS due to the surgery. Does this type of induced surgery ever go away? I am having a hard time adjusting. I've lost 30 pounds, 20 of that I didn't have to give! Please feel free to email me godfreshfire@gmail.com

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Abdominal surgery can do this... new
      #358330 - 05/03/10 02:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it is an "insult to the gut" which can lead to IBS. There is some helpful background info about this here brain-gut dysfunction

If you can get things under control quickly, it is possible that you can get your gut back under control permanently, and pretty much "cure" yourself of the IBS. In general, for people in this situation, the longer you have symptoms and problems, the more likely it is to become a permanent dysfunction of the nervous system of your gut.

I would go to the breaking the cycle diet info here break the cycle and see if you can get your gut calmed down as fast as possible.

You can keep things calm with the diet and supplements, but honestly if I were in your position I'd try to get going on gut-directed hypnotherapy specifically for IBS right away.

You can see a practitioner in your area - there is a list of therapists here or you can use an at home program here

There's a wealth of background info about hypnotherapy for IBS here

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 677 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5499

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review