All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Until one is stable...
      #355058 - 01/30/10 01:03 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Until one is reasonably stable, I don't think it is a good idea to give out suggestions to others that may only confuse them, or make them worse. IBS is a very personal thing, and everyone is different. We each and all need to find our own path. Heather's articles are very helpful as to reading material. Personal experimentation is sometimes the best, and then share after you have found what works for you. I discourage anyone suggesting things that they have not tried nor had success with. This is my take on these things, and stress is a key factor with IBS flares and lack of progress.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Until one is stable... *DELETED* new
      #355069 - 01/30/10 05:14 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

Post deleted by Heather

--------------------
IBS-D

No offense intended to anyone... new
      #355075 - 01/30/10 10:03 PM
Windchimes

My post here was not directed at anyone in particular, just all of us partcipating on the boards in general. If you have found something that has REALLY helped, then please do share. Genuine help is not based on speculation. Sorry if you were offended. People with IBS can be rather 'touchy' at times. Please do not attack others on assumptions. We are here to support one another rather than fight with one another.

--------------------

Not offended, touchy, fighting or attacking.... new
      #355080 - 01/31/10 07:20 AM
Thai

simply disagreeing that one needed to have absolute success before posting what they were using or trying.
I repeat.....I want to hear about what everyone is learning, trying, using, etc....whether or not the results are absolute, stupendous or just maybe make them feel a tad bit better! Cuz if they feel a tad bit better then maybe for me it could be a bit better than just a tad.....

No hostility here just how I would like to see things, thats all.

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Until one is stable... new
      #355089 - 01/31/10 09:22 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Well I have certainly seen people get confused by posts of someone who presumes something that isn't true many times. But it is for the experienced members here to correct that stuff I guess. My main concern has been the fact that people with D say something is unsafe for them and people with C don't realize that it may be fine for them and vice versa. It is best to be descriptive on what something actually does to you when you say you can't eat it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

It's not a perfect world that we live in -nt- new
      #355096 - 01/31/10 10:12 AM
Windchimes

--------------------

Re: It's not a perfect world that we live in -nt- new
      #355107 - 01/31/10 11:29 AM
Thai

What does that have to do with anything??
I'm lost here..........

--------------------
IBS-D

What is stable, really? new
      #355135 - 02/01/10 08:28 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Because of following the diet and taking medication, I haven't had D in over six months. Is that stable?

Because on the other hand, there hasn't been a day where I haven't spent most of it in pain and discomfort. So in that sense, not very stable.

You know, there is a popular internet file sharing protocal called Torrent and what makes it useful is that if you want a file you don't need to get it from someone who has the whole file. Rather, you can get 10% from 10 different people with 10 different subsets of the file and so end up with all of it. The point is, any advice given here is worth noting, as if you put together the things learned by 10 people who maybe aren't stable or know it all, but know what they do know, you can still construct a useful knowledge base.

One of the reasons
      #355136 - 02/01/10 08:56 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

the boards are helpful to so many is because it is a place where you can come to talk about what you are trying, what is working and what isn't.

I think it is impossible to wait until you are stable to post. Part of the process of getting stable is trial and error and being able to come to the boards for support. Where else can we go where people understand completely what we are going through?

Someone may be trying something that might not work for them but by posting about the experience the idea is out there and it might work for someone else. I personally have read about things that I never thought of trying. Some of these seem like a good idea for me and others don't but I wouldn't presume to tell someone else what they can or can't try. Like you said, we are all different and what works for one may not work for another.

--------------------
Janey

For Janey
      #355138 - 02/01/10 09:20 AM
Windchimes

Janey, I think I did a poor job of what I was attempting to express. I was talking about posting medication suggestions when the poster has not tried them at all, thus no personal experience either way to share.

I wasn't meaning no posts at all until stable. The boards are here to ask questions and learn from the responses.

You were correct and appropriate in the feedback.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2279 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6573

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review