All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
metamucil and benefiber questions
      #354444 - 01/12/10 09:11 AM

Unregistered

metamucil clear and natural is Inulin (100% natural vegetable fiber) isn't inulin problematic,thought I read that somehwere. Then
Metamucil Unflavored Smooth Texture Sugar Free Ingredients

Ingredients
Psyllium Husk, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid

Benefiber powder-
IngredientWheat dextrin

Which one of those do you think is most ibs safe? ALso I do have acacia and fibercon,fibercon is great. I just want to see how another fiber supllement works for me. SOmetimes Wal mart is out of fibercon so if I need to grab something else..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: metamucil and benefiber questions new
      #354447 - 01/12/10 10:04 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yes - it is a good idea to stay away from supplements with inulin. It can cause gas and bloating.

The Metamucil unflavored with psyllium husk or the Benefiber with wheat dextrin should be fine. I have no problems with psyllium. However, you might try the Benefiber first. I have heard good reports about it.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354448 - 01/12/10 10:21 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

benefiber is def. safe and has been great for me. I've only been taking it for a few months, but it really is doing well with me. just remember to start out slowly...too much may cause more bloating and discomfort!

--------------------
IBS-A

#354449 - 01/12/10 10:48 AM

Unregistered

i do have fibercon and acacia already. I wanted to use fibercon and benefiber,then use acacia in my cooking.

#354457 - 01/12/10 04:04 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Benefiber has always been safe for me.

Inulin, I stay away from.

#354461 - 01/12/10 08:49 PM

Unregistered

Ok I got benefiber plain the 100% all natural with nothing added. Even though I have fibercon maybe I can take 4capsules fibercon a day and the rest benefiber and acacia? So some of each fiber a day,acacia mostly for cooking in my food. I often notice burpring,many unpleasant tasting or smelling. DOes it go away with stability?

#354465 - 01/13/10 06:33 AM
Aly

yes, when you are stable there is a good chance that will go away. Now, this is just my opinion, but if you are taking 3 different kinds of fiber, you will not be able to tell what is working and what is hurting you. I would really encourage you to do only one kind of fiber to begin with, or you will never be able to say if it is helping.
If you want to add different types in later, that might be OK, but I would encourage you to stick with one so you can know for sure how your body is responding to it.

--------------------
IBS-A

#354467 - 01/13/10 08:09 AM

Unregistered

I've been on the fibercon for a long time, a few years. It is really good. The benefiber seems to be fine for me,I took a tsp. last night about 8pm and I just took a tsp. now. For me I think if something bother's me I can figure it out soon after taking it. It's hard to say sometimes,Like I think maybe peas don't like me but because of years of my horrible diet and my unstability it's hard to tell. But I did get crazy symptoms once I started eating them and didn't feel good.

#354468 - 01/13/10 08:33 AM
Aly

You can't tell if something is good or bad for you until you get the bad stuff out of your diet. And you might not immediately react to something. I've had trigger foods that get me sick up to 3 days later!! It's SO tough to figure it all out, but I still say using 3 fiber supplements at once just isn't the best plan. It seems too confusing! But I'm wishing you the best of luck with your new plan--you can do it! When you get stable you're going to be SO proud of yourself for sticking it out and not eating the bad foods you crave. it's SOO worth it.
Last night I went to a friend's house for dinner and while it sucked not eating the buttery garlic bread or having the cheesy alfredo sauce on my pasta, I was able to stay there until 11:00 b/c my belly was just fine. It's very rewarding having control of your life!
Hope you're having a good day.

--------------------
IBS-A

#354500 - 01/13/10 05:03 PM
debaver

Reged: 06/27/04

Hi. Is benefiber safe for those with celiac? I don't have celiac--have had the blood test--but my dad does ... I've been taking FiberChoice for a long while but this thread makes me realize that maybe the inulin in part of my problem??? I've had IBS my whole adult life (30 years) and feeling in real despair tonight, since I've tried so many things and nothing seems to help, including, I hate to say, Heather's diet. But I"m refocusing and retrying everything again, since I'm just so super-uncomfortable. I'm in the bathroom all the time. Not so much IBS-C and IBS-D as IBS everything. Somehow the one extreme or the other would seem better than this combo I have where I don't ever really have a BM, but have little bits of nothing that cause me tremendous pain and discomfot (and more embarrasing) make me bleed, because I'm wiping myself so much (overshare!) and then going to the bathroom five minutes later to have another sort of nothing bowel movement. I know this is gross, and I feel rather gross saying, but I am so hoping for support, as I'm just feeling miserable. And bloating, discomfort, that seems the least of it! I feel like this stupid disorder has ruled my whole adult life.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9121

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review