All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
5-HTP My miracle cure!
      #350536 - 10/02/09 09:31 PM
bubbles07

Reged: 05/19/09

Just wanted to share with those of you out there who have helped me alot through this message board.
Quick background - Gluten/wheat free for 4 years but still C, terrible bloating and cramps. Followed IBS diet with some success and colonoscopy was normal.
I also have fibromylagia which effects serotonin levels in the brain and apparently also your gut. Increasing the serotonin will help muscle soreness,sleep and digestion.
I have been taking a natural supplement called 5 HTP for about a month now with amazing results! This product increases serotonin in the body and my digestion has never been better. I'm eating normal "healthy" foods eg: wholegrain breads, cereals, all fruits and vegetables and wheat and am regular and bloat free!
I understand everybody is different but this has worked for me so wanted to share.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Syl - What's your take on 5-HTP? -nt- new
      #353022 - 12/05/09 08:02 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: Syl - What's your take on 5-HTP? -nt- new
      #353023 - 12/05/09 09:18 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is produced by the body from tryptophan an essential amino acid found in variety of food particularly red meat, dairy products, nuts, seeds, bananas, soybeans and soy products, tuna, shellfish, and turkey. It is a precusor to seritonin and generally speaking the body produces 5-HTP in abundance from tryptophan from the diet.

I have not seen any studies in the IBS research literature to support it use. I think there are some limited studies of its use for fibromyalgia. However, it is possible that might have some effects but it is unlikely to be a cure but rather an aid for managing symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353025 - 12/05/09 10:01 AM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I was interested attracted to this post as I've been researching 5-htp myself. Here is an excerpt from the website http://www.bioterrain.co.uk/IBS.html

5-HTP
Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that is metabolized by the body into 5-HTP (5-hydroxy-tryptophan) which is the direct metabolic precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin. As a supplement 5-HTP is preferable to its amino acid because you then do not have to rely on the tryptophane - 5HTP conversion taking place. Vitamin B6 and Magnesium is necessary for the 5-HTP-serotonin conversion so IBS patients with low vitamin B/Mg levels must address that for 5-HTP to be effective. Colonic and rectal balloon distension studies have shown that IBS patients become aware of distension and perceive pain at lower pressures and volumes than healthy volunteers and subsequent findings indicate that IBS is also associated with increased sensitivity to normal intestinal conmtractions. Serotonin (5-HT) has emerged as a key chemical messenger in the pathogenesis of IBS [MD Gershon, " Review article: roles played by 5-hydroxytryptamine in the physiology of the bowel", Aliment Pharmacol Ther (1999), 13: pp. 15-30.] The gastrointestinal tract contains approximately 95% of the body's serotonin and colic mucosal serotonin metabolism has been reported to be altered in IBS patients. Serotonin mediates reflexes that control gut motility and secretion, as well as pain perception, predominantly through interactions with 5-HT1p , 5-HT3 and 5-HT4 receptors in the gastrointestinal tract. Conventional pharmacological management of IBS is often suboptimal, addressing only the most predominant symptom at any one time. According to a 2004 paper by Novartis, newer serotonergic agents that target the multiple symptoms of IBS represent a significant advance in the treatment of this disorder, and together with other measures, such as patient education, promise to improve IBS management. Here at the Integrated Medicine Practice we use the metabolic precursor 5-HTP to restore serotonin levels because this helps with pain reduction, mood enhancing including anxiety reduction. Furthermore 5-HTP helps you to go into a deeper sleep. We use 5-HTP from Nutri Ltd., a plant source precursor of seratonin which is an important neurotransmittor for brain and nerve function and is necessary to control mood, it also regulates sleep patterns. Adults may take up to a maximum of 2tbl 3x/day (600mg) - children 20mg/10kg body weight. (order from NUTRI 0800 212 742 / Ref: 187410) Pharmaceutical serotonergic agents do not come problem free. One systematic review of 5HT4 Receptor Agonists found that in women with constipation-predominant IBS, tegaserod maleate improved symptoms compared with placebo. It found insufficient evidence about the effects of tegaserod in men. Tegaserod was more likely to cause diarrhoea than placebo. One systematic review found that alosetron hydrochloride (a 5HT3 Receptor Antagonist) improved symptoms in women with diarrhoea-predominant IBS compared with placebo or mebeverine. As of November 2000, the FDA had received 70 reports of serious adverse effects of Lotronex (alosetron hydrochloride), including 49 cases of ischemic colitis and 21 cases of severe constipation resulting in severely obstructed or ruptured bowels. Of these 70 cases, 34 required hospitalization, 10 required surgery and 5 died. [JAMA, Editor's correspondence, Vol. 162 No.1, January14, 2002] Consequently Lotronex was 'voluntarily' withdrawn from the market, Dr. Richard S. Kent, Glaxo's chief medical officer and vice president estimated that ischemic colitis occurred in one of every 1,000 Lotronex patients and that "about half are managed as outpatients and half are hospitalized." Although pharmacological serotonergic agents do not come without issues, serotonin is undoubtedly a key player in the management of IBS. Using the direct precursor to serotonin allows the body to convert this precursor on an as-needed basis. Please note that interactions between 5-HTP and prescribed medication may/does occur with: sedating antihistamines, Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors (SSRI's e.g. Prozac), codeine/morphine, L-dopa, Monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, barbiturates and other tranquilisers, botanical and non-botanical ephedrine or pseudoephedrine medication (Ephedra sinica is a sympathomimetic that acts directly and indirectly on the sympathetic nerves ) and ingested alcohol . If you are in any doubt at all about you using 5-HTP you should consult a well-informed, non-prejudiced physician.

One concern I have is where it says that Magnesium (along with Vitamin B6) is necessary for the 5-HTP-serotonin conversion so IBS patients with low vitamin B/Mg levels must address that for 5-HTP to be effective. I personally try to avoid Magnesium as it is not helpful for us with diarrhea only causing more in most cases.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

#353027 - 12/05/09 10:55 AM
Syl

You might find the write-up on 5-HTP in the USCD complementary medicine database of interest. Notice they talk about a 'possible' positive effect for fibromyalgia but no mention of an effect on IBS. I find their information quite reliable and up to date.

In the write-up you posted I find the notion that taking 5-HTP as a supplement is better than getting tryptophan in a diet because of the conversion step. The body is extremely efficient at converting tryptophan to 5-HTP. I believe only normal physiological levels of vitamin B6 and magnesium are required as cofactors in the conversion process of 5-HTP to seritonin. Additional vitamin B6 and magnesium are probably not required for most people.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: 5-HTP My miracle cure! new
      #353029 - 12/05/09 11:36 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I have read about this before. I believe it was from a naturopathic doc. He recommended it for IBS. I may give it try. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Re: Syl - What's your take on 5-HTP? new
      #353035 - 12/05/09 12:54 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I have IBS-D, so anything with extra magnesium in it exacerbates D symptoms for me. I take a liquid multi-vitamin daily and I personally avoid anything further orally that has added magnesium in it... like 'think Milk of Magnesia'! Who needs an added laxative when they've already got the 'runs' or a tendency towards that?

Magnesium might be helpful for those with IBS-C, though could also create a nightmare for those of us with IBS-D. Magnesium is a LAXATIVE.

I do enjoy a warm soak in the bathtub with Epsom Salts now and then (magnesium salts), though I don't react internally for having done so. This sure does soothe aches and pains, relax the body, and make the skin feel soft.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: 5-HTP My miracle cure! new
      #353045 - 12/05/09 09:24 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

Although I've read that 5-HTP is often sold as an over-the-counter therapeutic supplement and usually sourced from the seeds of Griffonia simplicifolia. 5-HTP in supplement form is typically sold in 50 mg or 100 mg gelatin or vegetarian capsules, without having been out to look for it yet, where can/should I be able to find it?

On the lighter side, are any of you Sopranos fans? I was laughing to myself as I couldn't help but feel that we, after all having our say about the newest post which is usually about a new potential remedy, sound (although in written form) a lot like the episode were the FBI is sitting around debating over whether they were against or in favour of Chris and Adrianna's getting married.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

#353046 - 12/05/09 09:50 PM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

I have D but this was recomended to me so i tried it for over a month. I was taking both Tryptophan as well as 5-HTP with negative results. It didn't make my symptoms better but didn't make them worse either. The only thing it did was make me sleep extremely sound and made me very relaxed during the day, which i guess could be positive for some.

My take is, if you have D and your body is supposedly producing too much seratonin then adding more is not a good thing.

Edited by Borrelli (12/05/09 09:53 PM)

Re: Syl - What's your take on 5-HTP? new
      #353052 - 12/06/09 06:17 AM
Syl

Generally speaking you don't need to take magnesium with 5-HTP and it usually doesn't contain extra magnesium.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29506

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review