All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
butter/olives/pickles
      #344476 - 04/14/09 12:20 PM
landimarie

Reged: 04/09/09
Loc: Texas

Can Molly McButter (fat free) be substituted for the real thing? Did not see olives or pickles mentioned in Heather's book. Are these bad for IBS? Yes I'm new - diagnosed last week.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: butter/olives/pickles new
      #344477 - 04/14/09 12:52 PM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

Check to see if there is any dairy in the molly mcbutter I think there may be and if so I would stay away from it...as for pickles they are extremly acidic, I think that may pose a problem, but try having them in small quantities...as for the olives, again have them in small quantities because they have a pretty high fat content which could be problematic as well.....I am new too about 3 weeks into it, sorry I don't know all that much but I hope I helped a little good luck

#344479 - 04/14/09 12:59 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Molly McButter contains the following ingredients: malto dextrin,( a natural carbohydrate derived from corn) salt, natural butter flavor and other natural flavors, butter, corn starch, buttermilk solids, tricalcium phosphate, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, extract of Annatto (color). It contains some dairy products.

Olives are listed on the trigger list. Pickles may cause some problems if you are IBS-D because of the skins.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#344482 - 04/14/09 01:37 PM
landimarie

Reged: 04/09/09
Loc: Texas

Thanks Syl. Sounds like a lot of chemicals in the butter substitute. Was thinking about having a baked potato but sounds boring without butter.

#344483 - 04/14/09 01:39 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

You won't know if you can tolerate olives/pickles until you try them for yourself. I realize that some food items may be on the no-no list, but you will never really know unless you experiment. What works or does not work for one, may not be the same for another. You may be able to tolerate small amounts...who knows. It is a shame to deny yourself any food until you experiment to see how if affects you. IMO

#344484 - 04/14/09 01:42 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Thank you, Lynn. I feel the same way exactly!!!!!!!! Some people think that the trigger list is the be all to end all. But, I can handle a little milk every-once-in-a-while and I LOVE olives and pickles! Eat them all the time!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344485 - 04/14/09 01:47 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Try using Smart Balance Light.

--------------------
Janey

#344486 - 04/14/09 01:49 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Right on Kappy!!!! I do not deny myself anything on the no-no list, until I give it a try.

ditto, -nt new
      #344500 - 04/14/09 03:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 221 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10083

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review