All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Luna Bar Question
      #344077 - 04/06/09 08:15 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I really love luna bars but I think my stomach does not. I feel a little nauseous after eating them
I know people have mentioned luna bars are safe for some people and not safe for others. I am eating the blueberry bliss ones but usually can tolerate a small amount of blueberry mixed with other things. What is it that is unsafe for some in luna bars? And also...are there any bars that are safe that don't have whatever it is in them? I love bars because they are yummy and easy so I really would like to be able to eat them!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Luna Bar Question new
      #344080 - 04/06/09 08:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I know I won't be able to eat them because most Lunabars contain inulin (chicory or Jerusalem artichoke extract) and some contain fructose and/or apple juice which is high in excess fructose. Inulin is added to increase the soluble fiber content. The blueberry bliss lists inulin as the third ingredient. The total dietary fiber in this bar is 5 grams of which 1 gram is insoluble fiber. It is likely that most of the 4 grams of soluble fiber comes from the added inulin. Heather has written about problems with inulin on the web site and in some her newsletters.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#344084 - 04/06/09 10:11 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Are there any bars that are safe for IBS but do not include inulin? I am surprised that bothers me but I guess maybe? It's weird that its making me nauseous I feel like.

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#344112 - 04/06/09 05:07 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Odwalla bars and Nature's Choice cereal bars and Clif Kids bars are safe. They are some other minimal ingredient lesser known bars out there that are safe but often contain too much IF to eat alone. I still eat Luna bars. Evidently inulin doesn't bother me. I am not bothered much by fiber, only fat and dairy and that kind of thing.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2739 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5373

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review