All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Phillips Colon Health
      #336533 - 09/25/08 04:01 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

So, I've been taking align for over a year and it certainly has helped me. However, I've been seeing ads for Colon Health and I googled it and it is significantly cheaper... So I'm thinking about switching. Has anyone tried this new product?
For any science people out there-- how does align compare with this probiotic? I will keep with align if it has significantly more good bacteria, but being able to pick it up at a drugstore would be SO convenient!
Thanks in advance for any opinions and/or experiences!

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Phillips Colon Health new
      #336536 - 09/25/08 04:52 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I had a look at their website. I couldn't find any specific information so I sent them an email. I got a vague response about Colon Health containing a proprietary blend of 1.5 billion cells of lactobacillus and bifidobacterium.

It seems like it contains a blend of probiotics a similar to that of many other probiotic vendors. Unlike Align the Phillips Colon Health probiotic has not been clinically tested on IBSers.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Phillips Colon Health new
      #336537 - 09/25/08 07:49 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I'm looking into taking probiotics just now. Align seems so expense but I'd take it if it was worth it.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Align new
      #336541 - 09/26/08 05:50 AM
Syl

Check out this posting. Align has clinically shown to be effective for all types of IBS.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Lactobacillus in probiotic supplements new
      #336542 - 09/26/08 09:22 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

I read several posts on this forum where people have seen improvement by taking probiotics, so I gave it a try. I took them every day for nearly two weeks, and got progressively worse. One of the ingredients in the probiotics I used was lactobacillus. Could that be the problem? Isn't anything with "lacto" a milk-related ingredient?

#336544 - 09/26/08 09:35 AM
glasgowgirl

I checked that foundation of all knowledge wikipedia and it says Lactobacillus converts lactose and other sugars to lactic acid. So if your sensitive to lactose it might actually help you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#336548 - 09/26/08 10:44 AM
Syl

It is unlikely to be the problem. " Lacto " in the name just means that it concerts sugars to lactic acid. However, many probiotics contain other ingredients such as FOS. Very few species of lactobacillus have been shown to be effective for IBS.

Very few probiotics have been clinically tested on IBS. Only a couple (e.g. Align and VSL#3) have been shown to be effective in clinical trails.

--------------------

What about Florastor or Saccharomyces boulardii lyo? new
      #336609 - 09/30/08 09:18 AM
glasgowgirl

What about Saccharomyces boulardii lyo ( it's a non pathogenic yeast. It's sold commerically as Florastor and is avaialblein drug stores. On their website they list several articles. http://www.sboulardii.com/article.asp?id=1539

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: What about Florastor or Saccharomyces boulardii lyo? new
      #336610 - 09/30/08 09:49 AM
Syl

There are many probiotics that are sold over the counter that claim to be effective for IBS. Unfortunately, only Align, VSL#3 and a couple of others have been clinically tested for their effectiveness in the management of IBS. And of those that have been tested Align seems to be the most effective.

Note: From the references listed on the Saccharomyces boulardii and Florastor web sites only one study in 1983 was done on very small IBS population using Saccharomyces boulardii. The patients were not selected using the standard Rome criteria for IBS. However, there was a more rigorous follow-up study done in 1990 (See reference below) on a bit larger population. It found that 250 mg of Saccharomyces boulardii twice a day seemed to help in the management of some IBS symptoms in particular abdominal pain and stool consistency. It did not appear to help with bloating.

Reference
Santosa, S., E. Farnworth, and P. Jones, 2006: Probiotics and their potential health claims. Nutrition Reviews, 64, 265-274.

--------------------

#336616 - 09/30/08 01:08 PM
giveluv2all

Reged: 07/11/08
Loc: Nj

I had problems in my first 2-4 weeks of taking Align but then they subsided and the Align seems to help keep me regular. They did warn me that things may seem to get worse for the first month. I had also read a blog on another site by a doc, they said, in order to truly see if any probiotic works or any UTC method works it will take at least a couple months.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 552 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11235

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review