All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Mayo, Miracle Whip and Salad Dressings
      #327819 - 04/04/08 07:39 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

So far I have tried FF Kraft Mayo and Light MW. Both times just a smidge and I had pain. I know it had to be the spread because everything else I ate was stuff that's always fine. Am I doomed to dry sandwiches? Any suggestions?

I used to love honey mustard but that's a no no for me. I can use ketchup in small quantities.

How about the spray salad dressings? I noticed Ken's has natural one. I was thinking of trying this on a sandwich. Anyone have luck with that?

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mayo, Miracle Whip and Salad Dressings new
      #327832 - 04/05/08 06:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some of the dressings contain HFCS, onion and/or garlic powder. Have you tried making your own low fat mayo or salad dressings?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#327834 - 04/05/08 07:12 AM
kristi123

Reged: 10/13/07

i make my own dressing with 'good seaons' dressing packets...u just add vinegar, water, and oil, my favorite for sandwhiches!

--------------------
IBS-D

#327840 - 04/05/08 08:38 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

So far I have tried FF Kraft Mayo and Light MW. Both times just a smidge and I had pain. I know it had to be the spread because everything else I ate was stuff that's always fine. Am I doomed to dry sandwiches? Any suggestions?

It may just be too soon. I can now use Hellmann's Light Mayonnaise - the one with the green top - but it took me a while to be able to use any mayonnaise. I suspect Syl is right and it was the additives and/or HFCS. I couldn't tolerate them until I was fairly stable.

There are recipes for mayo on the Recipe Board (I haven't tried them although I've been meaning to make Kree's tofu mayonnaise for a couple of years now). You could also look at some "health food" mayonnaise and see if you do better with that. Be careful, though: all natural ingredients doesn't always mean low-fat.

(A warning about Hellmann's Light - When I first started using it, it had sugar but at some point they switched to HFCS. I can tolerate that now but wouldn't have been able to when I first started on the EFI plan.)

Quote:

How about the spray salad dressings? I noticed Ken's has natural one. I was thinking of trying this on a sandwich. Anyone have luck with that?

I haven't tried that but as long as you don't end up with too much fat and there's nothing problematic in the ingredients, I'd think you'd be okay.

Have you considered trying either cranberry sauce (say, for a turkey sandwich) or chutney (for a chicken sandwich)? Whole Foods makes a cranberry sauce without HFCS; I'm not sure about chutneys without HFCS. Preserves or marmalades should work, too - Bonne Mamam is HFCS-free and I think apricot preserves with chicken sounds kind of good.

Alternatively, Heather's EFI Cookbook has a wonderful recipe for a tuna-lemon sandwich that doesn't use any mayo at all. And cruise through the sandwiches in the Recipe Index - there are at least a couple that don't use mayo including one that calls for sourdough bread, peppered turkey, and Smucker's seedless raspberry jam.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#327853 - 04/05/08 04:46 PM
Laurastr1

So the Good Seasons is easy on the tummy?

I will also check out the recipes here.

Thanks so much everyone!

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#327854 - 04/05/08 05:57 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Try Vegenaise or Smart Balance mayo. They are a little higher in fat than the artificial FF ones but in a sandwich should be ok.
I make my own salad dressing or use Just 2 Good french or the organic Kraft ones.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#327856 - 04/05/08 06:05 PM
IslandBride5

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: Eugene, Oregon

Have you tried Veganase (sp?)? I bought it the other day and it is much heathier for you plus it is dairy-free and low in fat. It was really good on my sour-dough turkey sandwhich. Another idea: Prior to buying Veganase I put mustard but also put a few sprinkles of feta cheese (I know, dairy but it was a small amount) in between two layers of turkey and this made the sandwich taste awesome! Also you could use goat cheese if you cannot have cow dairy...that sits okay in my stomach. Good luck my sandwich friend!

--------------------
Meet my sweet dog Marley!

#327860 - 04/05/08 09:16 PM
Laurastr1

IS the Kraft Organic with the regular dressings? I did not know they made organic.

I saw Smart Balance today but only in a huge jar. I didn't want to buy anything that big that I might toss.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#327914 - 04/07/08 11:20 AM
Laurastr1

I just had Miracle Whip "Free" and am feeling fine.
Interesting that "Free" worked but "Light" didn't.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#327920 - 04/07/08 12:09 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

i think it was the 'light' that had artificial sweeteners...but not the free. I just noticed that at the grocery store last week! Glad to hear the free is working for you

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1847 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5205

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review