All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help! I am miserable, Senna was the only thing that worked and now it stopped working!
      #323480 - 01/29/08 09:59 AM
LS23

Reged: 01/29/08

Hello...I have never posted on these boards before so please bear with me. I am also extremely upset as i write this. I have been suffering from 'IBS' for about 2 years now. I have gone to 3 different GI docs, had all the tests run (including colonoscopy) which were all fine, tried hypnosis, homeopathy, and everything else under the sun but nothing helped with my severe constipation. It just came on suddenly after a while with small hard stools, i ended up not having movements at all (longest was 25 days with out a BM). Now you'd think this was a big deal but the doctors blew me off completely. 'Take metamucil, eat more fiber, exercise, drink water..' was all i heard. Trust me I TRIED ALL THAT. I tried zelnorm, lactulose, amitiza, miralax...Nothing. Finally i started taking Swiss Kriss Senna pills because one of my docs told me it was worth a shot...but never really warned me on the longterm use. He was sort of blowing me off by laughing when i said i heard it was 'addictive and bad for long term'..his response was "if it works, dont complain or worry about the future, theres no scientific evidence...everyones different". So, i started taking 4 pills a night, and it worked! I finally was going every morning and living somewhat normally...until now. Its been about 9-12 months since i started using the senna and they no longer work at all. NOTHING. I have been stuck for over a week now and i do not know what to do. I dont even feel them working like i used to. Im frustrated. My right and left side hurt including the right side of my back, im bloated more than i am normally (im always bloated when i eat with IBS) and i got to bed with a basketball belly and in agonizing pain. The bloating is gone in the morning but i still cant go to the bathroom! I used to alternate between 4 and 5 pills if they slowed up but i refuse to take more than that... i dont want to end up taking 30 pills a night just to go to the bathroom! Anyway, i now do NOT know what to do. I have since ceased seeing all 3 GI's since they really didnt care what was wrong with me once they ruled out cancer, tumors, colitis, chrohns, etc. I am frustrated. Ive wanted to wean off of the laxatives for a long time but i dont know how...i know i will have to supplement it somehow bc there is no way my body will work without ANYTHING helping it along...but now that the laxatives have completely stopped i dont know what to try! Lactulose, miralax, psyllium, none of that has ever worked for me. The only thing that did, now doesnt. PLEASE understand my frustration ... if anyone out there has any ideas how to get my body working again and help me wean off these laxatives please help me. I feel so alone and i really dont know what to do. I feel like my body has just shut down and given up on me. Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! I am miserable, Senna was the only thing that worked and now it stopped working! new
      #323487 - 01/29/08 11:02 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Dear friend,

I feel your frustration. About a year ago I was in the same place as you. After barium enema, x-rays, cat scans, colonoscopy I realized that doctors couldn't help me because all of my results showed nothing.

I got better when I completely changed my diet. Do you eat dairy free, low fat, no spicy, no alcohol, no caffeine diet? Also, do you take Acacia fiber? If you don't, I strongly recommend. You can read about it here http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/sol_fiber1.asp
It helps people with diarreah or constipation. It helped me too but I'm very sensitive and I get rash on my face from it. I get rash from lots of things... So, try Acacia fiber and I'm almost positive that you will feel better.

Another question: have you ever tried taking magnezium vitamins? I used to take 2 before bed and had successful BM's in the morning. Magnezium is a natural laxative and my friend took it for years.

Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Re: Help! I am miserable, Senna was the only thing that worked and now it stopped working! new
      #323495 - 01/29/08 12:10 PM
LS23

Thank you for responding, i really appreciate it.

As for my diet, i do not eat dairy, caffeine, red meat, and i try to avoid wheat products as well. I have purchased acacia fiber but have only tried it a few times since the senna was working well for me. Yes, i have also tried Magnesium when i first started to have this problem, but unfortunately my constipation is so bad that it didnt help. My question is, if i were to attempt to wean off the laxatives (i heard its best to wean rather than quit cold turkey and really shock ur system) would the acacia fiber be a good supplement for this to help? I know acacia isnt a laxative so im unsure if it will help since i seem to need something with a laxative effect. If in fact acacia did work, i would LOVE to be able to never touch Senna again and just use Acacia...but my constipation is so chronic and severe i am just unsure that it will work Thank you again for kindly posting back.

#323498 - 01/29/08 12:19 PM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I also have the constipation side of IBS. I have to admit though I have never gone the laxative route because it scares me to death! I definately would go off slow since your body is use to them but you do need to find something else to help your body heal and to start moving BM's properly without the help of a laxative. I have found that magnesium comes in different forms and they are not all created equal. You do need to make sure you are getting a good product, but the magnesium has helped me move things along as well as the Acacia fiber. I take coral calcium since it has the 2:1 magnesium/calcium ratio that our body needs in order for the magnesium to work properly. I found the cheap coral calcium did nothing so I pay a little more for a more potent product. Also I found that I had to be careful with Acacia and start with smaller doses and then gradually add more --- I do not take more than 1 1/2 tsp per day of it. Everyone is different and I know there are many more individuals on this board we know more than I do. Good luck and I do feel your pain.

Re: avjens new
      #323499 - 01/29/08 12:55 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

avjens, what kind of coral Mg do you take? Cane you please recommend a brand? Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323501 - 01/29/08 12:59 PM
Zara

LS23, I agree with avjens that laxatives just scare the hell out of me! But you probably know that now . I would also say to wean off them slowly while gradually increasing the acacia.
Also, you said you don't eat wheat. Do you make sure you eat enough other fiber containing carbs to help things move along? Rice (brown or 1:1 ratio), quinoa, sweet potatoes, buckwheat - these things really help me. I got more constipated when I tried a carbohydrate free diet. It was rich in veggies and fruit (OK, low carb, not totally carb free diet) but that wasn't enough for my body. I need something that has a substance, if you know what I mean.
Maybe you could give us a sample of your daily menu .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323522 - 01/29/08 09:48 PM

Unregistered

Hi there,

I have also been an IBS-C but never in as severe a position as you. I don't have advice on weaning off laxatives, but I do want you to get another doctor if you haven't already. Two doctors have told me that Senna, though marketed as "natural," can cause nerve damage if used in the longterm. The last thing I want to do is scare you, but I think it's very important that you find a more responsible, compassionate, informed doctor. I wish I had advice to give you on helping move through your C without laxatives. I know another person responded by saying (s)he needs to eat enough SF, and that's been true for me, too. When my C was worse last year, eating a lot of gummy sourdough bread always helped move my bowels. It didn't necessarily help my bloating, but I did go to the bathroom.

I wish you all the healing and support in the world.

-Jen

#323538 - 01/30/08 06:16 AM
LS23

Thank you for your response. Actually although i do not eat wheat products I am able to eat other things to gain soluble fiber. I eat A LOT of brown rice there was a time i was eating it every day... and i am a HUGE fan of organice brown rice pasta which i eat a few times a week as well as sweet potatoes. I also eat salads, veggies, fruits, chicken, turkey, fish, potatoes, granola, oatmeal, corn tortillas, corn chips, etc etc. I defintely dont deprive myself of carbs or fiber i just go along the brown rice route rather than the wheat. I really want to wean off the senna and am praying there is still time but i am just scared to because i know i will get very backed up. When i say i get 'constipated' I must express that its not 'occasional' i mean NOTHING happens unless i take something...and this was even before i started with the Senna. I also have bladder issues where i hold in urine so my doctors always seemed to thing they were related and that i already had nerve damage (from a a fall years ago) that could be contributing to both...which is why they felt the laxatives werent as dangerous for me since it was the only thing that would stimulate me. DO you think its possible to never go to the bathroom again?? There has to be a way Also, what kind of magnesium is best? Citrate? Oxide? I cant seem to find it.

#323541 - 01/30/08 07:48 AM
Zara

Absolutely I believe you will be able to go to the bathroom again! You just need to re-train your intestines to cooperate with you and while it may take some time, it can be done! It may be hard at first but getting off the laxatives is the best thing to do in the long term.
Just looking at your food list - the foods that constipate me are granola, salads, and big amounts of corn chips (like more than a handful). Also, a lot of fresh fruits and veggies definitely make me more bloated. So maybe try being careful with these at first until you get more stable and confident about your triggers. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323543 - 01/30/08 08:21 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Two words: NATURAL CALM!!!!!!!!!!!!! You MUST try this magnesium supplement. I am not stable but at least with the Natural Calm I now go every single morning. Please please try it, it has helped me with C like nothing else. Quite a few people on these boards use it - do a search on it for more info. It's available at most health food stores.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22852

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review