All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
FLuLike Symptoms
      #319643 - 11/28/07 08:15 AM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Does anyone else feel lightheaded, feverish and kind of weak with the ibs symptoms...ie like you have a low grade flu? For me, this might be IBS or the panic disorder...not sure......

Seems like many on this board dont suffer also from an anxiety disorder, correct? Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FLuLike Symptoms new
      #319646 - 11/28/07 09:18 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

hI,
I totally get that way when I have Ibs d, or right before, of course I totally have a panic disorder too, Im not sure which does it, but your not alone!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#319670 - 11/28/07 12:03 PM
LMo

Reged: 11/06/07
Loc: Los Angeles, California

I have this problem. Sometimes I'll feel weak, shaky, and sometimes I tremble and my teeth chatter, especially before I have diarrhea. I suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and have panic attacks. I don't know if the D reaction is tied to the anxiety or not...But it sure is miserable and it's hard to tell if I'm getting sick or just suffering from an IBS attack--which of course just increases anxiety and makes the whole problem worse. Anyways, I just hope you're feeling better!

Re: lots to read (sorry..) new
      #319673 - 11/28/07 12:57 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I also have a aniexty disorder AND as we all know, stress does tend to affect ibs and make it more apparent.. For awhile there in Sept I was stressed right out more than anything, I was having panic attacks every day about various things.. I was getting sick much more often at that time, between 1-2 times a week (in which after being stable for 6 months was kinda sad and frustrating) in the end, once the concern was fixed and i wasn't stressing about it anymore the attacks went away again..

Anyways, more to the point, I find that right before the attack I get horrible hot flushes, sometimes it's from the pain, sometimes it's from the *oh no, I cant get ill now, I'm no where near a bathroom* type aniexty attack... However after having a full blown attack (massive pain, D, nausia, sometimes dry heaving <also from the pain>) I do find that I have chills and just can't stop shaking and I feel really weak.. I also thought it was because my system was in such shock.. but after awhile once everything settles and I have been ok for a few hours I'm good to go again, might still be tired but not shaking anymore..

For those who suffer from panic an aniexty, the IBS hypno tapes are amazing and if you are a worrier or a stress case like I am and want a bit more healing, I strongly suggest a book by Dr. David Burns called *the feeling good handbook* I'm not trying to Spam and I understand that's a bit off topic but the theory is, the less stress and panic you have, eventually the less stomach attacks you'll have.. (providing you eat properly as well, it's not a cure just a help) and it's especially good if you are the type of person that thinks *if I think the worst about a situation it will either prepare me if it happens or keep me safe* then it's definatly good..

Another theory is that it's our reactions, not actual physical causes that make us panic.. For instance, say you have mild indigestion, nothing serious, you start to worry that it's going to be IBS, you worry there isn't a bathroom around or that you can't get awaye because you are at work or if you are stuck in traffic.. You worry so much, start having a panic attack and then you do actually get sick. Thus a simple case of mild indigestion turns into this huge painful ibs attack because you got so stressed out... I know this is the way I was..

oh, and when I say *you* I do just mean a general *anyone who is currently reading this* not a critize to the actual poster or anyone else.. Sorry for being off topic.. lol

#319674 - 11/28/07 01:06 PM
Mhillqt

thanks...yesterday i had such a good afternoon.....didnt feel any IBS at all ...first time since this all started 6 weeks ago.....today, i woke up, went to the gym and came into work ....just felt nauseous, off balanced, weak.......and since I faint with major panic, was feeling faint and then that causes the panic.....i panic about fainting.....just like many epileptics panic about getting a seizure.....i think if i were feeling better physically, i wouldnt be getting these attacks.....and im in great shape and workout/eat well......just feel sick...if that makes sense.....like i ate too many carbs and im in sugar shock.....i only eat complex carbs and no sweets.....who knows what it is.......

#319704 - 11/28/07 07:00 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

I understand, the panic thing is such a viscous cycle, I'm a belly dancer I do hours of dance and yoga each week, and constantly have to just power through the nuasua and panic, or I'd get nothing done! When I feel myself getting sicky, I began breathing very slowly and do a rythmic slow counting in my head, it's like a meditation for me, stops the panic, and sometimes helps with feeling sick.

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#319725 - 11/29/07 08:47 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Yes, I do. I have to start seeing a cognitive behavioral therapist because I need to break the cycle of negative thinking.

Anyway, I feel lightheaded and when the nausea comes in, I start to get clammy. I don't know if IBS is the culprit, or if it's my 12 year old friend Meniere's diseases which causes dizziness/lightheadedness which naturally results in nausea. Sometimes my head feels like I've just gotten off of a loopy rollercoaster. There are times when even though I don't have a fever, I feel like I do.

I'm tired of mentally fighting my mind. It really drains me! Sometimes I'm even afraid to pee at work because the memory of being in the stall while feeling sick creeps up into my head and voila! I start to feel sick. If only I can do that with lotto numbers for all of us so that we can be rich and not have to worry about going to work. Wouldn't it be great to not have to call in sick but instead call in rich?

Sometimes, on those rare occasions when I'm feeling "normal", and I'm using the word normal loosely, I start to think, "Um, like why are you feeling good? You shouldn't be feeling like this? This is no longer your norm." And from there, I revert and go back to the mental fight.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Re: wendee new
      #319728 - 11/29/07 09:45 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Wendee I totally hear ya.. If you can't find the time (or the fear of leaving the house is getting to you on those really bad days) pick up the book I recommended..

I couldn't find a therapist to do cognitive work with me (and not just say drugs were the answer) and so they suggested the book and it's one of those things you can read at anytime (even when having an attack kinda deal) and it helps you identify the distorted/negative thought pattersn that cause that panic and stress..

and yeah, I also have had that not wanting to pee because of the memory.. I can't wear a certain shirt because I got violently ill after wearing for the first time.. I know the shirt can't possibly cause an attack but the stress and pain is remembered and I just can't do it yet...

#319734 - 11/29/07 10:15 AM
Mhillqt

Bendee - please contact that free CBT therapy program i sent to you...its 12 weeks(2x per week) of free therapy for people with panic disorder ...i know you have issues witht he train getting to 61st and 1st avenue but talk to them at least and see what they say....OR send Dr Milrod an email.......it cant hurt to at least talk to them...right>?

#319752 - 11/29/07 01:23 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I recently had flu like symptoms (chills, fever, nausea) with diarrhea. After nearly a week of it, I went to my GI doctor who said that there was an intestinal virus going around. After a total of a week and a half (feeling terrible), all of my symptoms pretty much disappeared overnight, except the diarrhea, which could be something else anyway.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1319 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4591

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review