All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
GOING TO A NEW GI
      #317692 - 10/30/07 05:27 PM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

HEY GUYS
I have posted quite a few things on here about all the troubles I have been having, not only with the diet( and still being constiapted and gaining weight) but also that I am up to 2tbs Acacia, 2 magnesium, 2 aloe and even a cup of regular coffee and still only pebbles:( if that. So then I tried 3 tsp of Natural Calm b/c everyone was saying that they had so much success with it....well....nothin.

So anyway I decided that after DAYS AND DAYS of pain, gas, no BMs and weight gain I will go to a GI doc.
I havent been in 6 years ( thats when they did all the tests and said... you have IBS)
I havent gone b/c the one who diagnosed me told me NOTHING about diet. He prescribed me Zelnorm, when that didnt work he gave me Mira Lax, when I told him that made me severely gassy he said " well there is no cure, you just need to relax more...and you will probably have this the rest of your life"

So I have spent the last 6 years trying just "self help"
trying each food group and eliminating it shortly after, getting colonics, trying new "natural laxatives" etc

So my question is....what should I do when I go in....should I tell him that I was diagnosed 6 yrs ago with IBS? Im afraid this will give him an easy out and then he wont run all the tests that I really want to get done again.

Or should I just tell him my symptoms and what I have tried and let him decide what to do....?

also what specifically should I tell him to test for...based on my symptoms (4-5 days without BMs even after all the things listed above, gas after well everything...even water, fatigue, distended belly and weight gain)

can you suggest what it may be that I should have him test for...I will ask about Celiacs, SIBO.... any others that I sound like?

thanks for your time reading this... Im going on thursday and Im really scared he will just brush me off and put me on some crazy painful laxative again.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: GOING TO A NEW GI new
      #317693 - 10/30/07 06:31 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

sounds like you have been thru hell....im so sorry.....have you tried taking an antidepressant at a low dosage...ie ssri type like lexapro or prozac OR perhaps a trycyclic like imipramine......you should be honest with the gastro and if he is a good gastro, he will listen......im growing to dislike doctors.....they are mostly pompous and dont listen to patients but every now and then, you find a good one......keep us posted.

Re: GOING TO A NEW GI new
      #317708 - 10/31/07 10:40 AM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

thanks, yes I was on Lexapro for a while, may need to go back on. I didnt notice it helped with the symptoms but it helped with me not crying myself to sleep and crying every morning when I wake up and my stomach is so bloated and I havent had a thing to eat....and my clothes dont fit.
Thanks for the advice, i will let you know:)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 418 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 709

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review