All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
SIBO
      #311517 - 07/18/07 02:50 PM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

I've seen my GI Dr. and he prescribed Xifaxin for the bloating-and says I'll feel better immediately-of course my HMO won't pay for it, so I have to go back to the Dr.s office for samples. I'll let you know if it works...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

re: SIBO new
      #311635 - 07/20/07 07:12 AM
yowwza

OK...day 2 of the SIBO treatment. Slight improvement in bloating. Just came up to the full dose of Acacia fiber...I would say that at present, with tea, fiber, and Miralax at half the recommended dose, my IBS-C symptoms are resolved, EXCEPT for the bloating. Hence the antibiotic for SIBO. I am 'herewith' documenting the results of this experiment, for myself, and anybody else who spends their days bloated to the gills!!

My GI wrote the prescription for Xifaxan, to kill off bacterial overgrowth in the intestine that is presumably causing the gas/bloating-and C. He said that he believes that SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) has been shown to be caused by-AND contributes to-IBS. For instance the huge amounts of methane gas generated by the bacteria fermenting everything actually stops the peristalsis in the colon and actually CAUSES constipation from IBS to become worse, which prevents the colon from moving the excess bacteria through and out of the body, which allows it to overgrow even more, and so on...

To his credit-when my HMO naturally refused to cover the Xifaxan prescription ($293.00!!!), he gave me the entire 10 day treatment in samples! That's a decent Dr. I thought I'd put in a plug for a GOOD GI who really wants to help.

However, he firmly does not believe any of the hype about candida, so he would not give me a preventative treatment for that. Having read a lot of posts from people that have had this treatment, I can see that they do suffer from symptoms of yeast overgrowth following this treatment, so I am taking preventative measures along with the antibiotic (nystatin, herbal defense-no sugar) to prevent overgrowth. Neither the antibiotic or the Nystatin is absorbed from the bowel, so the battle will be localized, as it were. In the last few days of the antibiotic, I will splurge on ye moste expensive probiotic from the healthe foode shoppe-and try to establish a new balance of gut bacteria.

Right now, I am experiencing some kind of die off-probably yeast-a hot toxic headache-pressure in my ears, and I'm going to try to semi-fast to reduce the stress on my body.

Re: re: SIBO new
      #311637 - 07/20/07 07:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Headaches are a known side effect of the antibiotic Xifaxan ( Rifaximin ).

Methane does not 'stop peristalsis'. It 'slows peristalsis' and the amount that it is slowed is dependent on the amount of methane produced.

Keep us posted on how Xifaxan works for you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#311811 - 07/23/07 04:34 PM
yowwza

Okay, the side effects of the antibiotic wore off. Yesterday, I had two of my favorite meals, that would normally have me balloon-like by evening. (I was having a very hard day, and eating for comfort, not IBS). It caused very little gas at all. I was really shocked to have gotten away with it.

Today I have begun a fast to allow my gut to heal. I feel very much better.

#311967 - 07/25/07 12:57 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I'm glad you're feeling better!

I just got back from my GI doc. I had a breath test done last year - I thought it was for multiple bacteria but I learned that it was in fact for fructose. She suggested I have the SIBO test done this Friday so I will.
Did you doctor think that you only have SIBO or SIBO plus IBS? I wonder if it's possible to have had SIBO for the past x years (sounds too good to be true - pop a few pills and be as good as new !
Anyway, keep us posted - when is your treatment over?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#311976 - 07/25/07 03:26 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

I think this is one of the things my doc had mentioned to me. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to pretty much every anti-biotic out there, so I'm avoiding going that route at all costs. Hopefully what I'm doing now will keep working and only get better.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#311997 - 07/25/07 08:15 PM
yowwza

Day 7.

Today I had a fruit/protein shake for breakfast. This would normally have me bloated in about 4 hours, struggling to hold in the gas, for social reasons..(hehe)-it was really nasty and incredibly painful! So I haven't had fruit in 2 years, other than bananas-and I love apples and papayas and melons etc.

Today, there was no gas or bloating. So to up the ante, for lunch I had rye crackers with cheddar and cultured vegetables (I made my own piccadilly chow with culture from The Body Ecology Diet)-I made it months ago but haven't opened it til today, because eating it would cause me to bloat so much I would want to DIE from the pain. Well, with that one there was some rumbling-after all, I don't know what's going on in the gut right now-but no bloating, and no pain. I can't believe it!

Problem-I'm afraid to STOP the antibiotic, I'm feeling so good-but there are only 3 days left. I have to take more probiotics-but I honestly thought I could never eat fruit again! Tomorrow I am actually going to have a slice (or two) of juicy summer melon!

Yes, in answer to the question, I am IBS-C, but hopefully no longer bloated.

#312015 - 07/26/07 09:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Are you saying that you think you noticed an improvement in bloating but you have not seen any change in C yet?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#312016 - 07/26/07 09:53 AM
yowwza

I don't know-I'm not taking the Miralax right now, and I'm having a spontaneous BM as soon as I wake up, but it's pretty much liquid. It's quick, painless, complete, and I like that so much more than what I normally have to deal with, but I realize it's only temporary because the gut bacteria is out of whack. I have 2 more days after today of antibiotics. I should probably increase the Tummy Fiber, and I want to start taking BioK plus today or tomorrow. Unfortunately, my fridge quit on me and the new one won't arrive til Saturday-so I can't store probiotics. As far as whether the chronic C returns-I don't know. But my God-a flat stomach. It's almost WEIRD!

#312150 - 07/28/07 10:25 AM
yowwza

I've had C forever, IBS since adolescence, (and that was a while ago!) and bloating starting really in '96 after I caught a case of Giardia-right here in SF. Even after the infection was cleared, some of the Giardia symptoms continued for a long time. The bloating became MEGA-bloating only over the last couple of years. So I've suffered an accumulaion of symptoms. I've never had a normal gut-and don't expect to have one-unless maybe when my kids are grown and the mayhem clears somewhat-but I am a type AAAAAAA person-which has a lot to do with a smoothly running digestion.

Right now-I want to clear the mega-bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 994 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15272

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review