All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Whole Grain Brown Rice Cakes
      #288708 - 11/01/06 03:05 PM
DESSI

Reged: 11/01/06

Is it all right to eat Whole Grain Brown Rice Cakes, by Quaker, if you have IBS, NOT constipated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Whole Grain Brown Rice Cakes new
      #288739 - 11/01/06 06:49 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Good question - I would love someone more knowledgeable to answer. All that i can say is that I eat brown rice and cream of brown rice cereal and I do okay with those. Debbie IBS-A

#288808 - 11/02/06 12:39 PM
DESSI

Reged: 11/01/06

In Heather's book, she says to eat rice cakes, especially
when prone to diarrhea, but is it okay to eat Quaker's whole grain brown rice cakes, since whole grain is a NO NO for us.

#288916 - 11/03/06 11:51 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

I am only making a guess that it is okay as it is okay to eat brown rice? Can anyone add any insight to this?

#288918 - 11/03/06 12:20 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

A safe snack would be rice cakes made with white rice. If you are having D then I would recommend sticking to this.

Whole grain brown rice cakes should be treated as IF. You would need to eat them with a safe amount of SF. I know I can't tolerate much IF when I'm having a D attack.

--------------------
Kat

K2----unrelated question new
      #288920 - 11/03/06 12:27 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

But do you only take Acacia and Immodium to maintain your stability? No digestive enzymes or probiotic?

Thanks....sorry to hijack the post...but I've wanted to ask you that since you seem to do so well!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: K2----unrelated question new
      #288921 - 11/03/06 01:00 PM
K2

Just Acacia and Imodium. I take 2 1/2 tbsp acacia per day (almost at my 3tbsp goal), and usually 2-3 Imodiums per week (mostly related to stressful events or restaurant eating). I also take the peppermint capsules every now and then with large meals or restaurant foods.

I actually stabilized with the diet and Acacia alone, but after 2 months I started using Imodium because I wanted to travel again. I did a 30 hour (that's each way) bus trip to Florida for a week, and 5 week backpacking around Europe tour, all free of IBS attacks.

I tried probiotics for about 2 months and didn't notice any difference. I have been thinking about trying a different brand to see if I notice a change, but mostly for my immune system and for safety while travelling.

I take Beano when I have soy products or meals with a lot of veggies, but I haven't tried any other digestive enzymes. I was a dairy-addict (my hardest trigger to give up) and have tried lactaid pills, but they didn't work, so now I just eat a ton of soy dairy-alternatives.

Oh and I just started the hypno program last week. I'm hoping to get rid of the negative IBS thoughts, and constant worrying over it. So far it's helping me sleep really well every night, which is already helping my IBS.

How are you doing with the diet?

--------------------
Kat

#288951 - 11/03/06 06:30 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Wow....you are so brave. I totally commend you on your efforts to take control of your IBS and travel like that. Just thinking about even a smidget of that trip or the backpacking would send me to the bathroom. You should be so proud of yourself. I really value your advice on this site. It is good to hear that you have been successful with just the diet and Acacia and you have given me another outlook on taking the immodium. As I have stated in other posts, I'm always trying to resist taking it, but I guess if it helps us to live our lives it is no big deal. There are so many things I would love to do (I'm talking minor compared to your adventures, ie., go out to cut a tree down for the holidays with our neighbors)...I think maybe I'll just take a preventative immodium more often along with the diet and acacia and start living a little more...at least until I get stable.

I've been thinking about the hypno tapes...honestly I don't really want to fork out the money b/c I don't know that I'll take the time to follow through. I was also wondering...do the tapes make you think MORE about the IBS since you have to remember to listen to them daily and draw attention to it? I don't know...I'm wondering if they would have a reverse effect on me. In the evenings I ususally like to watch my tv shows or read to relax while the kids are finally asleep and I think having to remember to do something else each night might bother me or make me stress out more.

Why do you take the beano before veggies? Do you get gas/bloating from them or is it just to help you better digest them? The weird thing is that I used to get a lot of gas but in the past months I have not...only when I'm c sometimes. So I wouldn't need it for that reason, but I'm wondering if you take it just to help break down the IF better. Thanks again...your success should be an inspiration to all newcomers on this board.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#288979 - 11/04/06 06:52 AM
K2

Glad you're finding my advice helpful! I would like to say that I was stable before I started travelling. The only travelling I had done before that was a beach vacation in Cuba and I was sick pretty much the entire time hehe. Ah well.. I agree with using the Imodium to be able to relax and enjoy events. I still do that for restaurants.

I actually got the hypno cds a few months ago and put them away in my closet. I only started the hypno program last week, after a run-in with the Halloween chocolate stash, so I can't really comment the effects good/bad yet. But I do know that I look forward to listening to the session at bedtime. It puts me to sleep better than anything, and I always feel more refreshed in the morning. It doesn't make me think about IBS more. So far the first session deals with getting comfortable and calming down. I find that I'm starting to notice stress affecting me, and instead of letting it get out of control I try to calm down and let it just go away.

As for Beano: When I first stabilized, I wasn't eating much veggies, and hadn't tried any dairy alternatives yet. This summer I wanted to expand my diet with more exciting dinners, more veggies and fruit, and lots of dairy alternatives (soy ice cream, soy ice cream sandwiches, soy milk, soy cream cheese). I started getting mini bloating/D attacks in the evening and had no idea why. I always get a bit bloated before a D attack so I thought it was normal for me. Finally I realized it was the gas being produced from these foods that was causing the attacks. I started taking Beano and have been fine since then.

Beano helps digest one particular thing in veggies. If you're looking for more of a general one then there are some digestive enzymes. I find that as long as I cook my veggies until soft then I'm fine. Fruit sometimes I purree, most of the time I don't because I like them as is.

Once again, glad I could be of some help, and I hope you find a lot of success with this diet too!

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5070

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review