All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
NEW PRIMAL DEFENSE ULTRA
      #287735 - 10/24/06 01:51 PM

Unregistered

what priminal defense is the best to take. Do you take the ultra? here's the site with a few of them. http://risingstarlc.com/garden.htm

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: NEW PRIMAL DEFENSE ULTRA new
      #287736 - 10/24/06 01:58 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I haven't tried the ultra. I take the regular Primal Defense and it works very well for me. It doesn't work for everyone, though - some do better on other brands of probiotics. If you do a search on "probiotics" or "primal defense", there's some good information.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Re: NEW PRIMAL DEFENSE ULTRA new
      #287774 - 10/24/06 06:49 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i haven't seen the ultra in canda yet, there are pros and cons to the new one, it is supposed to be much stronger, which ,might be too much for our systtems, it has an added strain or two i think, but is it necessary, who knows, it is also even more expensive than the regular, go figure. the goods are that it is now in a capsule not a caplet and comes in a glass jar instead of plsatic which is usually a good thing for any kind of supplement. personally i don't feel the need to switch.

primal defense ultra/jarrow probiotic new
      #287780 - 10/24/06 06:59 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

When you say the new one (ultra) is in capsule form instead of caplet, do you mean it is like an acidophilis pill with the plastic coating? I just started the regular ones and yuk I'm trying to get through swallowing them...the color and smell somehow repeats on me. Where did you hear that the stronger ones might not be good for us? What adverse affects would it have? And I know it is beneficial, but is it really necessary to take a probiotic like Primal Defense if you are taking Digestive Enzymes before each meal? I want to keep trying with the PD (I paid for 45 pills!!!) but if I really wind up hating them, how about the Jarrow? Can anyone say what they look like and if there's any aftertaste?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: primal defense ultra/jarrow probiotic new
      #287782 - 10/24/06 07:02 PM
Miso

you think swallowing the PD is bad, i chew them first to make sure i get them to dissolve and they literally taste like dirt, but i am used to it, i used to take the powder before i could swallow pills, yes the new ones are`in capsule, as in the clear two part capsule with powder inside. i didn't mean the new ones are bad for ibs, i just figure for some people PD is too strong for them, so the ultra might be overkill. Jarrow is a great company, but do they have one without FOS in it? sometimes FOS is a problem, but if you hate the PD then give the Jarrow a try.Its a ll guess and test since we are all so different.

Thanks Miso...please give me more info new
      #287783 - 10/24/06 07:11 PM
line415

Miso..I don't know what FOS is? I just read a few posts of people liking the Jarrow and a friend had recommended it to me a few years ago but I never tried it. As far as PD being too strong, I'm still confused as too what you mean. How would I know if it was too strong for me? (I've only taken it for a few days now.) Why do you chew yours? You poor thing! How was the powder? Was it wonderfully colorless/gritless/tasteless, etc.. like Acacia? (somehow I'm guessing that's going to be a big fat NO!) What did you think about my other question...taking the GNC multi-enzymes before each meal (only a few days now too)...so is a probiotic really needed too? (My history is that I've been doing the diet and taking Acacia for about a month....pretty successful with some quirks to work out here and there with SF/IF, etc...one or two flare ups..I'm IBS-D, maybe A?) Thanks

--------------------

Re: Thanks Miso...please give me more info new
      #287787 - 10/24/06 07:26 PM
Miso

FOS is fructooliogliserides, it is basically food for the bacteria for when they wake up in your gut. They sometimes cause extra bloating, but not always and depends on the person. Like I said Jarrow is a fantastic company so i would give them a try if you like. Yes the powder was awful, but i got used to it, i just hate tablet things so i chew them to make sure they break up, capsules are still powders inside so i just swallow those, now that i can swallow pills, i used to open them just put th epowder on my tongue. Enzymes and probiotics are two cpmpletely different things and i believe that we all need both. Digestive enzymes help us break down and assimilate the foods we eat and the probiotics help our intestines to keep everything in order and functioning properly. When i say PD too strong i mean gives too much bloating, can cause D in people if they are sensitive, also some people don't let their body take the time to adjust and feel icky for a few first days and decide it doesn't work. When the good bacteria set up camp and start killing the bad ones sometimes you can feel and hear stuff going on as the bad die off and produce gas, but it all gets into balance soon and that what we want.

Thanks Miso..interesting! Thank goodness no adverse reaction for me yet. NT new
      #287789 - 10/24/06 07:29 PM
line415

--------------------

Jarrow suggestion, clarification new
      #287797 - 10/24/06 07:47 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

The Jarrow company does make a probiotic without FOS. It is called Jarrow EPS. It's the one in the orange and red box.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Herxheimer new
      #287799 - 10/24/06 08:23 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

That's called the Herxheimer(sp?) Reaction. Initially your symptoms feel worse before they get better.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 289 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4678

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review