All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can you eat ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef or is it the same fat content?
      #281487 - 09/09/06 10:11 PM
Glenda

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: Garland,Texas, USA

I am new also and I have been reading the book however my step-daughters son was put on a diet and they recommended ground turkey and trukey franks, etc. insted of low fat cuts of ground beef? I don;t get the difference since you can buy gorund beef that is 93/7 fat free and ground turkey is higher than that sometimes? Heather doesn't talk about this in her cookbook? Does anyone know the answer? Also is there any good substitute for margarine and cheese you can buy in the grocery store. I am having a real problem with that? I love cheese, margarine and beef? Does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you for your help?

Glenda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can you eat ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef or is it the same fat content? new
      #281496 - 09/10/06 07:45 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome to the Boards.

On this diet, ground turkey breast or ground turkey white meat is fine. If the package just says "ground turkey" it almost certainly includes dark turkey meat and that's not recommended because it's higher in fat.

Even though you may be able to find very lean beef, the problem with red meat is not just the fat content, it's also that the proteins are hard to digest and therefore tough for IBSers to handle. web page

For hot dogs, try these.

For margarine, any completely dairy-free brand will do. I use Smart Balance Light (only the Light is dairy-free). I'm sure other people will have other suggestions.

Cheese is tougher. There are all kinds of soy, rice, and even almond cheeses. A lot of them contain casein which is a dairy product. You may or may not be able to tolerate them depending on just how sensitive you are to that protein. There are some vegan ones that have no dairy products at all - my vegan friends use a brand called "Follow Your Heart" ( web page ). They like them, I've never tried them.

Of the soy and rice cheeses I have tried, I like Lisanatti the best ( web page ), but I am having a hard time finding it around here. Trader Joe does carry a little in my area. I've also tried Soya Kaas - I can find that at a regular grocery store - and it's okay. Again, both of these contain some dairy additives. And I believe *all* cheese alternatives are high in fat, so be careful with them.

There is also "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook". I haven't tried it, my vegan friends like it. ( old post, old post, old post).

As for beef, in recipes calling for ground beef, I find ground turkey breast or white meat completely acceptable: I make burgers, meatloaf, chili, and spaghetti sauce. The trick is in the seasonings. You can cruise through the Recipe Index for some ideas. If what you crave is a nice ribeye steak, though, all I can say is I love them too, but they just aren't worth the agony. Cold comfort sometimes, I know.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Can you eat ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef or is it the same fat content? new
      #281524 - 09/10/06 10:38 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Becel and Fleishmann's make dairy free margarine. Becel's red lid tub is the one that is dairy free.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 291 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 866

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review