All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
corn on the cob?
      #274640 - 07/18/06 07:50 PM
sandrap49

Reged: 07/18/06

i am new to this IBS scene and trying to figure out what to eat-where does corn on the cob come into the equation-good food or bad food for IBS & if i can eat it when should i eat it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: corn on the cob? new
      #274659 - 07/19/06 03:12 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Welcome, Sandra, I'll let you know from the get-go that I'm not the most experienced with this IBS diet, partly because I'm still trying to afford the information, hehe. I'm hoping to save up enough money some day soon to buy myself Heather's products. So far, what I've learned since I've been on this site (at least three years), is that not all of the info here works for me, but I swear, that most of the info that I have been able to try HAS been helpful. There are recipes, IBS bundles that you can buy that get your started on learning about IBS and how to deal with it, a huge number of really wonderful people, great moderators, and of course, Heather! From my own knowledge of the digestive system, corn is actually not an easily digestible food, in general. Usually, most people don't have a real problem though. If one wants to examine their own BM, they might even see pieces of undigested corn in there... okay I know that's not a pretty image, but this is what I remember learning when I was in school. For me, I eat corn on the cob often; I eat corn niblets, too, quite often. I also know that it's possible that I might end up with some C if I eat corn. In fact, it's funny that I came across this post just now. I just finished eating corn... a frozen veggie mix in ramen soup (and I was naughty the ramen soup was beef flavor!). Here's my main understanding, veggies are good sources of insoluable fiber, but they may need to be processed and/or cooked longer or differently to break down the fiber so that your intestines have a little less work to do (in other words, you'll hopefully feel more comfortable after eating). I probably just completely confused you, didn't I? I'm so sorry. Perhaps I should just shut my mouth and let others answer you - they might have a much better way of explaining the corn on the cob and IBS situation to you than I can. Mine's purely anecdotal with a little bit of fact that I remember about corn. If you're unsure, the best advice I can think of is to try a small amount of the food you're unsure of. Eat some soluable fiber like french or sourdough bread or rice first as a base food. My experience, as with a lot of things, is that everyone reacts differently to various methods (or in this case, food and diet changes). This got super long, sorry about that, I tend to ramble. Good luck, I know it's tough. I hope you stick around and get better. Take care!

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#274670 - 07/19/06 04:27 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I am IBS-C, and corn is a big no-no for me. I sure do miss it. Corn on the cob, mmmm. But I know it will cause major problems. Everyone is different, so you might want to try a small amount to see how it affects you. But corn is probably the hardest to digest vegetable...even normal people can't actually digest it. It comes out the way it goes in

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#274708 - 07/19/06 07:39 AM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: Canada

Quote:

corn is probably the hardest to digest vegetable...even normal people can't actually digest it

Yup. Corn is a major no-no for me too. There may be others here who can tolerate it but I try to pick out even trace amounts from soups etc. otherwise I find I'm paying for it later. If you're not sure how your own body reacts to it I'd take Sommer's advice and try a small amount after a safe base food.

Ouch !! new
      #274814 - 07/19/06 01:57 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I would be sick for days eating corn.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#274820 - 07/19/06 02:06 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Whole corn is IF, so proceed carefully - and with corn, extra carefully. I can eat corn on the cob now with no trouble, but for the first year or so I was on the EFI Diet, I wouldn't touch it. It is difficult to digest, so I would suggest you be pretty stable before you try it. (Hard, I know, this time of year when it's showing up everywhere.) When you do try it, make sure you have a good SF base first - and you might ask for just a bite or two of someone else's if you can. (Spouses are handy for that sort of thing.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: corn on the cob? - oh I forgot to mention something new
      #274839 - 07/19/06 02:36 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Imagine brand soups makes some excellent dairy-free soup such as Cream of Portabello Mushroom, Creamy Corn Chowder, Potato Leek, etc. Mmmmm. Since corn's a pain in the butt (literally for some ppl!) to digest, but you still miss corn, maybe pick up a box (they come in cardboard boxes) of Imagine soup. They aren't cheap, but the price I've paid for them (varies between $2.99-$3.99) for like a 16oz size, at least I think I remember it being 16oz... anyhow, the price was worth it, imho.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 731 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3770

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review