All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
My Diet
      #256634 - 04/05/06 11:16 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Hi, I have been having trouble going lately.
Here is my diet.
Do you have any ideas as to why or what I can do?
I was thinking of adding Instant Oatmeal, gently, as it sometimes causes me to get dry, other times it makes me go.
3 tablespoons Benefiber
3 Acidophillus

Meal 1
1 cup Egg beaters (2-3 times a week)
Bowl Corn Chex
Oat Bran and Natural Applesauce

Meal 2
Turkey Breast Sandwich on White Bread w/lettace, light mayonnaise, hot peppers
Pretzels

Meal 3
1 cup Peaches
2 Graham Crackers
Roll

Meal 4
Chicken Breast
Rice/Couscous
Spinach

Meal 5
Oat Bran and Natural Applesauce
Corn Chex

1) Am I getting enough fiber?
2) Milk/Calcium. I have had trouble with Soy and Rice Milk. So I do not drink milk. I also stopped taking Calcium pills afraid they might cause constipation, am I doing any harm?
3) I am trying to get stronger at the gym, but I have been getting weaker. What can I do for the diet?
4) Is having carbs as my last meal bad?

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My Diet new
      #256636 - 04/06/06 01:07 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

Naturepathic, I'm no expert, but that diet sounds pretty good. I eat more noodles, potatoes, carrots, etc to get more SF. Can you add more fruit? One needs calcium especially if you don't drink milk. Other foods have it, maybe you could search for them. Weight bearing exercise is good for your bones. If you balance Ca with magnesium, I don't think you would get constipated. Also. have you tried triphala? Bette

--------------------
(cool)

#256642 - 04/06/06 05:47 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

1) Am I getting enough fiber?
Looks like you're getting a good SF base with each meal. Now you need to add more IF (as much as you can safely). You should be eating IF with every meal even if it is in small quantity.

2) Milk/Calcium. I have had trouble with Soy and Rice Milk. So I do not drink milk. I also stopped taking Calcium pills afraid they might cause constipation, am I doing any harm?
You can also try Almond milk. Calcium pills should be taken with Magnesium. You can usually find one combo pill, ratio is roughly 2:1, 333mg of calcium to 160mg magnesium. Try starting with 1 pill a day, and work up (not sure for men? women should take 3 a day)

3) I am trying to get stronger at the gym, but I have been getting weaker. What can I do for the diet?
Eat as much protein as you can from safe sources like you are now. You could also look for a protein powder. Try doing a search on the boards for a safe one.

4) Is having carbs as my last meal bad?
Nope, but try getting some IF with it as well!

Ideas for IF:
berries - strawberries, blueberries etc (easier to tolerate if pureed)
cooked veggies - grean beans, tomatoes, broccoli (the more mushy/cooked the easier to tolerate)
nuts
whole grains - sometimes I mix in some brown rice or whole wheat pasta with white rice/pasta

Hope that helps,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#256729 - 04/06/06 10:48 AM
Naturapanic

Thanks. That is weird you say my diet is good because I still do not feel stable, I still feel c.

Back in Feb, before I tried a cleanse, I felt better than I had in a long time.
I don't get how it could take two months or longer to recover from a cleanse, I doubt it could take this long.
I don't know what the problem is.

I had instant oatmeal today, it made me go, but after I feel distress in my stomach, and this was something I could tolerate fine months ago.
I don't get why I am not back to how I was.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#256735 - 04/06/06 11:06 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

I think that Kat gave you some excellent advice, and I think that you definitely need to be adding more insoluble fiber into your diet.
If you are still C, you need more to help things move along.

Also, exercise and other things like yoga can help with C as well.
Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids as well.
Try a cup of hot water with lemon in it in the morning to get things moving as well.

Good luck,
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#256780 - 04/06/06 02:40 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

You're diet is a great start. It will take time to incorporate IF and start having normal BMs that don't involve the uncomfort after. You're not quite at your 'prime diet' so be patient and keep adding IF. Hopefully in the next few months you'll improve more. It can take a while to stabilize, and from what I can tell on this site, most IBS-C take a bit longer to stabilize. I've never had a clense done, but I imaging it was quite a shock to the system, and yes it can take quite a while to recover the balance.

Since you're already keeping track of what you're eating, I'd suggest posting on the IBS Fitness and Lifestyle Board. People report in what exercise & food they had for the day. I'm gonna get back to doing that too (lost my motivation a little bit).

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#256853 - 04/06/06 08:43 PM
Naturapanic

Hmmm, so you really think the cleanse, which was last done almost TWO months ago, is why I still am not back to being "nearly" stable?

Well, today I tried instant oatmeal.
It made me go, then my stomach felt cramped, knotted, no pain, just physical knotting, through now.
I have also not gone since.

So what does this indicate, that I can't handle IF?
Should I still have instant oatmeal, will my body ajust?
I tried today incorporating more an dyou see what happened.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#256857 - 04/06/06 08:50 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Not everyone is okay with oatmeal, but it doesn't mean you can't handle IF. Try having different IF's, but incorporate it slowly.

#256859 - 04/06/06 08:56 PM
DOTT

Reged: 03/12/06

hello

i eat for my blood type and i found a big difference

dot

#256862 - 04/06/06 09:17 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Not everyone is okay with oatmeal, but it doesn't mean you can't handle IF. Try having different IF's, but incorporate it slowly.

I had Tomatoe Sauce two weeks ago, same thing happened.
I'm not sure what other IF to try.
It still shocks me because before the cleanse in early Feb, I could handle this stuff without trouble, I mean come on, I was on the cleanse for less than two weeks, it is amazing if this is still to blame.

Does it look like for c I am getting enough fiber, or do I need more?
I am in a bind, if I do need greater fiber, because I am afraid of being sick as I was today.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2897 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36501

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review