All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'm New! HELP!!! severe, chronic gas & bloating in the evenings...
      #253316 - 03/21/06 03:02 AM
didi

Reged: 03/21/06

Hi everyone! I just stumbled upon this website and am hoping that someone out there can help me figure out what wrong with me. For the past 2 years, I have suffered from severe gas and bloating that occur only AT NIGHT, around 10-11:00 pm, and of course it often interfers with my ability to sleep (that's the reason why I'm reading these message boards right now, in fact). I've reached my tolerance-frustration level and really need some advice! Here are my symptoms:

1. In the evening, my lower stomach will bloat and become distended, then I "pass wind" every couple of minutes for a few hours. Most times there is a strong sulfur smell.
2. Often times I feel like I'm about to explode with gas.
3. I also burp every couple minutes at the same time my stomach is bloated and gassy.
4. You can hear bubbling sounds in my stomach from gas moving around.
5. During the days, I sometimes have diarrhea, or have frequent bowel movements, but usually significant less gas during the days.

I have been diagnosed with IBS and Acid Reflux. I wonder if it is the morning coffee I drink with half & half, perhaps I'm lactose intolerant but how come my symptoms occur at night and not immediately after? I eat salads alot, japanese food, and chinese food.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking about trying the acacia or the fennel stuff. THANK YOU!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm New! HELP!!! severe, chronic gas & bloating in the evenings... new
      #253326 - 03/21/06 05:00 AM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

If you have been recently diagnosed with IBS, you may really, really want to read Heather's books. They will give you a good solid base of knowledge, and the people on the boards can help with the little stuff that comes up. Off the top of my head, I would say it is / could be:
1. the coffee (most people with IBS cannot tolerate, as it is a stimulant)
2. the half and half (even IBSers without lactose issues are better off staying clear of dairy) and/or
3. The salads, chinese, and japanese foods, unless they are high in soluble fiber, or eaten with a good soluble fiber base (there is a HUGE difference in how your body will deal with soluble / insoluble fiber).
For myself, if I ate the above diet, I'd have diarrhea all day and gas / bloating some of the day and all night because of the creamer, coffee, and heavy load of veggies.
Here's a link to the basics ( Heather's Intro ), and one for breaking the cycle quickly ( Breaking The Cycle ) but I really would suggest you'll feel better and enjoy life more if you can read and follow Heather's suggestions in her books and on the web site. Good luck!

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Great advice! new
      #253342 - 03/21/06 06:50 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I second everything you wrote!

I am IBS-C and wouldn't touch coffee (either regular or decaf), any dairy (even though I tested okay on my lactose intolerance test), or salads at all!

Stick with herbal teas, cooked veggies, and no dairy. This may not stop the gas, but it is better for your D. I have Gas/bloat everynight no matter how carefully I eat. And Fennel doesn't seem to help much, but I still drink it just in case it's doing some good.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#253389 - 03/21/06 08:51 AM
Letty

Reged: 03/15/06
Loc: Bullhead City, Arizona

Welcome! I'm IBS-D and Acid Reflux also. GET OFF THE COFFEE NOW!!!! It has made a world of difference. In 7 days, today, with no coffee, I haven't had any acid. D- has calmed down quite a bit and I'm actually going to work today ' cause I have no pain. Of course,I have been following the diet, but coffee is a major factor. Welcome to the world of tea!

--------------------
IBS-D,ACID REFLUX, PANIC ATTACKS

?How do I live without my Cholula Hot Sauce?

#253438 - 03/21/06 10:15 AM
didi

thanks for everyone's help! but can morning coffee trigger EVENING gas? why is it only in the EVENING?! So Fennel doesn't help? Has anyone tried ACACIA fiber? Thank you!

#253443 - 03/21/06 10:25 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

A lot of people with IBS have symptoms at different times of the day. I always found it worse in the evenings even if I ate well. Some people are morning-sufferes and find their stomach queasy in the mornings.

The coffee is definetly contributing to keeping your gut irritated. Cutting out coffee will help.

> I eat salads alot, japanese food, and chinese food.
I rarely eat salads, just can't seem to tolerate that much 'roughage'. They are ok if you're having enough SF foods before I guess, and light dressing. I just tend to have raw veggies I know I can tolerate, and cooked veggies. Japanese and Chinese food can be ok, but make sure you don't have any red meat, MSG, and eat plenty of rice with it. I can see how you are having evening gas by eating mostly these foods. I would look at Heather's diet guidelines and consider changing how/what you eat.

I would try the fennel tea, many have said it helps and it is different for everyone, so it's worth a shot.

Goodluck,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

About Fennel tea.. new
      #253449 - 03/21/06 10:34 AM
Augie

I have never tried Heather's brand, which is suppose to be stronger than the store bought kind I drink...even though I usually use 3 bags per cup!

Maybe it's just my body...it may work for you. Guess you just have to try and test it out.

If you use your search button to search out posts on Acacia, you'll get a bunch of information of who has tried it and who likes/dislikes the fiber. Change the time limit to no time limit. You can search others experiences with Fennel by doing the same thing. This way, you get a more well rounded idea on which to make your decision. I, personally, didn't have luck with Acacia...but others have. Basically, your body needs to try them. No one can know how YOUR unique body will react to foods or supplements.

Isn't this fun?

--------------------
~ Beth

#253567 - 03/21/06 04:53 PM
didi

thanks for everyone's suggestions. i will definitely try to drink less coffee (but I LOVE IT so much, and that would be really hard....i am trying to switch to lactaid milk instead and also instant, which seems to be more mild than starbucks coffee). I will also try fennel and acacia, as well as search the message boards. this is fun! thanks!

#253572 - 03/21/06 05:14 PM
Letty

Reged: 03/15/06
Loc: Bullhead City, Arizona

I know how you feel about coffee, especially Starbucks...I used to be a Cap Grande, 2 or 3 shots of Expresso! Yeah Baby! But now that is just a memory! Today, I was having major withdrawals; headaches, twitching of the neck, etc. But it's better than pain in the gut. I made myself a cup of decaf single (comes in teabags) and I tasted it just to ease my symptoms and it actually helped. Didn't drink but maybe a couple of spoonfuls. That was all I needed. Then I made myself a cup of peppermint tea. I know it's hard. It's been my security blanket for a long time... I'm 52 and I've been drinking it since I was 3. Every day. If I skipped a couple of days, I'd double up the next!. I'd say I was addicted!

--------------------
IBS-D,ACID REFLUX, PANIC ATTACKS

?How do I live without my Cholula Hot Sauce?

Lactaid milk is not safe either new
      #253580 - 03/21/06 06:37 PM
Augie

You have to stick to rice, soy, or almond (and other nut) drinks.

Lactaid is still a trigger...just like regular milk.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 574 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4121

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review