All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Colonoscopy - very, very nervous
      #246240 - 02/14/06 11:50 AM
rox53

Reged: 02/23/04

I'm having my first colonoscopy this Friday and am very, very nervous. I need to do my prep on Thursday and I know that is the worst part. I will be taking Nulitely from 3pm and am supposed to finish it by 9pm.

I did a search for "colonoscoopy prep" already, but I wanted to see if I could get more experiences from those here. What is your advice to make this more bearable. Also, I'm afraid of the cramping I will get after taking the Nulitely.

Also, what to expect after the procedure. I hear that I will be gassy and bloated? That is probably the worse symptom for me.

Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonoscopy - very, very nervous new
      #246247 - 02/14/06 12:05 PM
canteat

Reged: 11/18/05

The worst part is the prep. I ate green jello and chicken broth to keep me full up until midnight. The best advice I can give is to keep going until the liquid is gone. I had nulytely (sp?) too. If you do not drink all the liquid and get everything out, its possible you would have to do it again.

I did not have any pain or cramping in my abdomen at all. After the first hour or so, I was going every ten minutes. I even continued to go throughout the night, but with less frequency. The only pain I had was from wiping my butt raw!

The procedure itself was easy, you're asleep the whole time. Afterwards, I felt fine. I was ready to eat! Then I slept for most of the afternoon. I had a funky stool the next day, but thats about it.

I know its scary, but once I got past the nasty liquid, it wasn't that bad.

Good Luck!

#246248 - 02/14/06 12:09 PM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

As you say the prep is the worst part but it is much better than say 10 years ago. Still make sure you have a clear path to bathroom.

As far as colonoscopy you will probably be sedated. How much varies. Unlike other I was awake during procedure contrary to what was expected but only discomfort was the gas but once you have that cleared you should be fine. I knew I had polyps to be removed from a previous barium enema test so expected much worse but no problem.

#246261 - 02/14/06 12:38 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Coming from a family of doctors, I got some terrific advice that really helped me cope.

To avoid cramping you need to drink as much liquid as you can. Everything you drink will pass right through, so don't be surprised that the more you drink the more you go. You WANT to do this as it means you are cleansing yourself out thoroughly, which lessens the probability that you'll have to redo the colonoscopy b/c you weren't cleaned out enough.

While drinking sodas is usually a no-no for us IBSers, in order to avoid getting extremely faint while cleansing you need to drink as much ginger ale or 7up as you can. It will provide you with sugar. It didn't make me cramp or give me any IBS symptoms when I did it. I also drank a ton of chamomile tea and chicken bouillion.

The worst part for me was the raw bum. No one warned me about that so I was unprepared. You are expelling undigested biles from your bottom so it gets extremely raw very quickly. Get some baby wipes, vaseline and desitin diaper cream. Lube up the outside of your bottom after each BM and try to get some of it into your actual rectum. Use the wipes instead of TP as it will help from making the rawness worse. The rawness is practically gone the next morning.

Lastly, just make sure you stay very near the potty. I went about every 10 minutes for about 6 hours. Then I had to go a few times during the night. You don't want to be far because you may not make it in time.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be just fine!

#246279 - 02/14/06 12:56 PM
kmk

Reged: 01/11/06
Loc: NY

So instead of the worst part, I'll post what I think was the best. Although this assumes you are going to be sedated. I was knocked out with a shot of Versed. Just prior to the procedure I asked what was the medication was being drawn up and the doc told me what it was (versed) and he said "this will hit you like a truck and you are going to feel odd when you wake up" Of course I asked what he meant by odd. He gave me a smile and laughed. He pushed the plunger in the needle and within 10-20 seconds I was out. Well when I woke up I learned what he meant. I felt drunk. It was really funny because I felt totally drunk. The nurses were laughing at me because I was apparently being really loud and asking everyone why I was drunk. It was really an interesting experience because I was not sick to my stomach and the room wasn't spinning but I sure did feel like I had no inhibitions and everything was really really funny. This feeling lasted about 45min after which I fell asleep for 8 hours. This whole procedure isn't nearly as bad as you would think. Sure prep was a real pain in the ass but all in all not that bad.

--------------------
Here...there....everywhere

#246303 - 02/14/06 01:34 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

It's really not that bad...I was nervous too but really, it's not bad. The prep as everyone said is the worst. Just be close to the bathroom! I didn't have cramping with mine and afterwards, didn't feel bloated! I was totally knocked out for the procedure and don't remember a thing! The nice thing for me is I didn't go for a few days! I was totally cleaned out!

Try to relax....it will be over before you know it!
Sandy

Great advice new
      #246305 - 02/14/06 01:37 PM
rox53

Reged: 02/23/04

Thanks for all the advice! I can't imagine that it won't be painful having to go every 10 minutes (as cramping pain) because I get cramping pain when I get D, as everyone else here does.

I'll be sure to use the baby wipes and vaseline. I just can't imagine going to the bathroom for 6 hours.

My Dr. said not to eat jello. I can only drink chicken broth, apple juice, and ginger ale for the entire day before the procedure. I wonder if I'll get crampy just from not eating any food. Has anyone gotten cramps from drinking the giner ale? I never drink anything other than water because of the IBS.

You probably won't cramp much new
      #246632 - 02/15/06 07:33 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I don't know exactly what cleansing process you're using, but I began my prep by swallowing four Dulcolax the night before. I remember that I woke up the next morning cramping somewhat for about an hour, had a big BM, and then the cramping was over. It was that initial BM that cramped.

After that, when you start drinking the other stuff, there is no noticable cramping. It's weird because that's what you normally expect with D, but you have to consider that this is not your normal IBS. You just have liquid literally squirting out with little indication that it's going to. That's why you want to stay near the potty...you have little time when you feel it coming on!

I'd stay away from Jello, too. Just take in as much liquid as you can. The ginger ale was actually quite soothing and kept me from getting shaky.

Re: Colonoscopy - I was very nervous too, but NOT any more... new
      #246634 - 02/15/06 08:18 PM
andy1122

Reged: 02/15/06

Re: Visit Touchinspirt.Org or AngelEnergy.com new
      #246635 - 02/15/06 08:22 PM
andy1122

Reged: 02/15/06

Call Elizabeth Stratton of TouchingSpirit.org
She can help you.
Deborah of AngelEnergy of AngelEnergy.com can heal you too.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 459 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4415

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review