All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Anyone here take beano?
      #245658 - 02/11/06 05:32 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

I think some spices that are safe (no MSG, etc...) give me gas. I just get gas pains and extra BM's, but no D or C. I was reading about beano a bit and see that it's a digestive enzyme? I just worry about taking things because side effects freak me out, and I worry way too much about have an IBS attack. Does anyone here take beano? Are their side effects? I've taken beano in the past, after recovering from an eating disorder- my digestive system was all out of whack and I got really gassy from just about anything. I would have sworn the beano made it worse. But I was pretty kooky and unstable back then and let things in my head get to me!
What do you all think about beano and it's (possible?) side effects?

Thanks!

Amber

PS and I hate gasX and mylanta gas (simethicone?) tablets...I swear they make me feel worse, nauseaus and stuff.

thanks again!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I live on it... new
      #245659 - 02/11/06 05:40 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

if it wasn't for Beano, I wouldn't be able to eat any veggies W/O pain. I use a lot of it and usually take a little over the reccommended dosage, depending on what I'm eating. I've never noticed any side effects. If you try it and like it, I'll give you the name of a site where you can order it at a signifigant savings. I use it so much, I want to save as much as possible.

HTH Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Re: I live on it... new
      #245685 - 02/12/06 01:07 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hey Alyson! Could I get the name of the site too?

Amber - I love Beano! It makes eating veggies and spices sooo much easier. I still get a tiny bit of gas sometimes, but it really works to alleviate most of it. Try it and see how you like it. It's definitely worth it!

About the eating disorder new
      #245714 - 02/12/06 08:51 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Does your doctor think that you will always have problems digesting food without pain and/or gas? Is it better now? How long did you have an ED?

I worry that I have done permanent damage because of a long term eating disorder and will always have pain and gas and constipation.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I live on it... new
      #245732 - 02/12/06 09:50 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I "live on it," (i.e. Beano) too!

I use it daily. It eliminates gas/discomfort/PAIN associated with so many vegetables. Seriously, without Beano I doubt I'd eat any vegetables. I also take slightly more than the recommended dose. YES, I find it works EVEN WITH broccoli!

I usually just stock up when I hit Cost Co.

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (02/12/06 09:52 AM)

Kate, here's a website to find it even cheaper than at Costco... new
      #245743 - 02/12/06 10:20 AM
Alyson McG

www.luckyvitamin.com. I posted info about it last week. For whatever reason, it is $4.72 for a bottle of 60, $13.33 for a bottle of 100 and $4.20 for a bottle of 30. So, as you see the bottle of 60 is an awesome deal. I pay about $12.00 for a bottle of 120 at Costco. Also, on this site, the more you buy, the more you save. I use so much of it I ordered 15 bottles and some of their teas. They also have Yogi stomach ease and another brand of fennel tea bags, plus many many other brands of teas. It's really a cool site with some good things. The best part of it is I have received not one bit of spam email after ordering. Oh, they even have the Sweetleaf brand of Stevia plus.

BTW, I completely agree, I wouldn't be eating any veggies either if it weren't for the Beano. I was still pretty hesitant to try broccoli until last week. I took 5 of them and had only minor problem( stink) with it.

HTH and I would love to hear about anyone else's experience or thought's on this site. Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Hi Amanda.... new
      #245745 - 02/12/06 10:22 AM
Alyson McG

I just posted some info on my reply to Kate(Wind) above. I think you will just love this site! I know I do.

Alyson

--------------------

Re: About the eating disorder new
      #245758 - 02/12/06 10:40 AM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

I worry about the exact same thing- I worry that I have done some sort of permanent damage to my body and that I caused myself to develop IBS because of my ED...I don't know if that's true or possible, but I always beat myself up when I'm having bad IBS symptoms because I assume it's my own fault. Starting in high school I always had weird eating patterns. I never ate except at dinner time, but I never really controlled what or how much it was that I ate that one time per day. I jogged for an hour every night after dinner. I don't know if you would call that an ED, but it definitely wasn't normal or healthy. In college is when it got the worst. I cut out most all carbs and exercised for 3 hours a day and took laxatives every day and got really thin and just plain sick (more mentally than anything). That lasted about a year and a half before I just broke down and moved back home to get help with the ED. I can't really answer the question you asked me about whether my doctor thinks I'll always have digestion problems. I changed doctors last year, which was about six months after I started the ED treatment. I haven't mentioned the ED to my new doc. When I first started eating "normal" and getting help, I had TONS of gas. I think I mentioned that. That's why I tried Beano once. I'd say that was my biggest problem, along with bloating. But then, about 6 months after I started treatment I got pregnant. My stomach really got out of whack at that point. My new doctor just attributed the painful gas, bloat, and D to being pregnant and said it would go away when I had my son. Well, he's 10 months now and I still have problems! I'm more of a type A now, with cramping whether I'm C or D at the time. Part of me likes to tell myeslf that it is just IBS that developed after pregnancy- I think Heather even mentions that happening to some women. My doctor says it does make sense that I have IBS symptoms after having my son for a couple of reasons: 1. I've always had a sensitive stomach, even when I was a child. I usually got D after eating out, especially at chinese restaurants. 2. My son was growing really far inside of me...let me explain, because I know that sounds weird! While I was pregnant, the doc worried that he was going to be really small because my stomach measurements were weeks behind what it should have been. I just looked really small while pregnant. But he was born 10 days early and weighed 6 lbs 14 ounces which is a really normal weight. So the doc said it must have meant that he was just growing "deep" inside of me, squishing and compressing all of my organs giving me gas, D, and heartburn. 3. And now, my son still doesn't sleep through the night, so I get very little sleep, which contributes to IBS symptoms. Not only that, but before I knew it was probably IBS, there were plenty of days where I ate WHATEVER I wanted and felt PERFECT.
Sorry this post got so long, but I thought I might as well explain my situation so that I didn't seem like I wasn't answering your questions. I try to remember the six months between ending my ED and getting pregnant. I know I was really gassy at first, but I really do think it improved dramatically. I know I couldn't handle deep fried things, or lots of greasy foods, but I could eat just about anything else, dairy, red meat, etc. And since having my son, there have been days where I feel fine and have eaten whatever my little tummy desired and felt fine. I don't think our ED's will permanently effect us if we really make sure to change our destructive patterns. How long did you suffer from your ED? What type was it? Have you felt stable at all since it? When/how did you develop IBS?
I didn't know anyone else here previously had and ED. It's always in the back of my mind as a cause of this. It also kind of sticks with you a bit. I mean, I hate thinking that I need to stick to Heather's diet. This probably sounds dumb, but I hate thinking that I can't eat whatever I want. It's like, I restricted myself from so many foods in the past because I "wanted" to due to the ED, but now I have to avoid foods. I don't know if that makes sense. Well, I'll stop babbling now, and again I'm sorry this is so long!

Hope to hear back from you,
Amber

Re: Anyone here take beano? new
      #245765 - 02/12/06 10:49 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I also use Beano frequently and have never noticed a single side effect. Great stuff.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Kate, here's a website to find it even cheaper than at Costco... new
      #245808 - 02/12/06 02:38 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Alyson, THANK YOU!!!

This is a HUGE savings. I'm placing an order a.s.a.p.

Okay, you can laugh, but I normally use half a dozen Beano at a time. Yes, I've even used MORE than that, depending on the quantity of veggies being consumed, but taking a few extra really helps.

I think, if I didn't use Beano, I might eat a total of about a cup of veggies at the most, during the day--probably just in the form of spinach or a few mushrooms or a beet or a few lettuce leaves.

For something like broccoli, I usually take half a dozen beano. Ditto for cauliflower. This product really makes a huge difference.

Honestly, I won't even bother entertaining the thought of a vegetable entering my mouth without Beano. The pain just is not worth it.

Okay, how warped is that? I think I'll name my next cat Beano as a joke.

Thanks, again.
Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1306 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 69776

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review