All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can I ever chew gum again?
      #242471 - 01/29/06 07:51 AM
cardshark

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Phx, AZ

Hello- I am newly diagnosed with IBS-D predominant. I had already cut down or cut out many of the trigger foods over the past 6 months without even realizing I had IBS and that they were trigger foods--like caffeine, dairy, alcohol and I completely stopped eating meat b/c I couldn't handle any of it. It might have something to do with all the junk they put in meat these days. Anyway, what has upset me the most though is that I like chewing gum, and when I realized that it had sorbitol in it (my fav was Orbit bubblemint sugar free), I had to go cold turkey. It explained why even with so many diet modifications, I still was getting painful cramps and bloating. So, my question is, can I chew any gum at all? I checked the package of Big Red and Juicy Fruit, but they also contain Sorbitol. Is there a gum out there that is sweetened with Stevia? If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I will buy online! Oh- and I am not as sensitive to sugar (can have small amounts) as I am to aspartame and sorbitol (really bad for me).
Thanks!

--------------------

*Janice*

"Where there is love there is life."

-Mahatma Gandhi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can I ever chew gum again? new
      #242472 - 01/29/06 08:09 AM
busymomtn

Reged: 01/09/06
Loc: Chattanooga, TN

I chew gum all the time and it has never bothered me except maybe a little gassy every now and then. I chew peppermint gum, especially the Altoids Gum and sometimes the Super Bubble kind. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone though. Everybody is different.

Any type of chewing gum is not suggested on this diet new
      #242473 - 01/29/06 08:11 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

According to Heather's eating tips and tricks she states " Avoid chewing gum, as it causes you to swallow excess air, which can trigger problems".

I would personally never chew any type of gum. Sorry...but you get used to eat. Gum is not necessary for happiness! It's something you can live without, I promise!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#242490 - 01/29/06 10:08 AM
cardshark

Thanks- I am going to try the altoids gum--I didn't even realize there was such a thing. I actually have switched to altoids mints when I really need one, and as long as I don't eat too many at a time, I can handle the sugar. Also, Altoids have peppermint oil in them, so they help my stomach.

--------------------

*Janice*

-Mahatma Gandhi

Just a note... new
      #242493 - 01/29/06 10:23 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Sugar is IBS safe, so sugar is should be no problem. It's artificial sweeteners that are triggers for most people, with the exception of Stevia.

That said, Altoids gum still has artificial sweeteners in it, so I'd avoid it. The only gum I've found without artificial sweeteners is Glee Gum at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, and Chiclets, which most grocery stores still sell. My boyfriend has a condition where he can't break down artificial sweeteners, so between him and my IBS, we're very careful to avoid them. I occasionally chew Glee gum when I'm nauseous, but I don't have it on a regular basis. Chewing gum is not recommended if you suffer from gas or gas pains as a symptom, since chewing the gum will just introduce more air, i.e. gas, into your system.

That said,

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

This is important guys! new
      #242508 - 01/29/06 11:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Don't think that just b/c something contains peppermint it cancels out the triggers! And if you are not stable you CANNOT tell if something like chewing gum generally or having sweeteners affects you badly.

#242533 - 01/29/06 12:43 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Chewing gum is not advised. I do chew it. Yes, if I chew too much I get a huge internal charlie-horse type of kink/cramp. And also, if I chew too much I require Immodium. Sorbitol does have an excessive bowel relaxing effect.

(BUT I'd rather chew gum than smoke a cigarette which is worse for IBS! I'm smoke-free for 8 weeks, now, with the aid of the "Nicoderm Patch.")

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: This is important guys! new
      #242600 - 01/29/06 06:41 PM
cardshark

Thanks for the tip! Actually, if I have a few altoids it never bothers me. It is the chewing gum with artifical sweetners that does it, so I am trying to find a gum that I can chew every once in a while (like when I can't brush my teeth and I have to breathe on someone!) that won't aggravate my symptoms. I have noticed that the altoids actually improve my symptoms, so I have kept them in my diet. I didn't even think of Chiclets--I went to the store I discovered that altoids gum, unlike the mints, have sorbitol in them--so thanks for that recommendation.

--------------------

*Janice*

-Mahatma Gandhi

#242638 - 01/30/06 12:45 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

cardshark, I googled xylitol, a natural sugar, but I don't know if it's IBS safe. It is good for your teeth and for cleansing after eating. Don't know if this helps or hurts the problem. Bette.

--------------------
(cool)

xylitol is just as bad for our IBS new
      #242660 - 01/30/06 07:05 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I know Dr. Weil recommends staying away from this just as much as staying away from sorbitol.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3745

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review