All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dosage for Levsin (hyoscyamine) or Bentyl (dicyclomine)
      #224646 - 11/13/05 03:21 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I have prescriptions for .125mg hyoscyamine tabs, 20mg dicyclomine tabs. Both of them are take every four hours as needed.

Well, the last three months or so, I've been getting super-bad attacks and nothing helps. I switched to Bentyl a couple weeks back and I don't think it's doing any better than the Levsin, although the tablets are a fetching shade of blue.

I asked my doctor if I could take a double dose when I'm having a bad attack. She hesitated and said, "Probably not." I am pretty desperate after another weekend of pain and misery and WAY too much time staring at the World's Ugliest and Cheapest Linoleum on my bathroom floor, so I'm looking into the higher dosage again.

So, I was just wondering what dosages other people were typically taking. I've looked up both drugs online and haven't really gotten anywhere. I am going to call the pharmacy tomorrow and see what they think. Don't worry, I won't take an extra dose without finding out first if it's gonna make me keel over. But I am curious if anyone is at a higher dose. Thanks!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dosage for Levsin (hyoscyamine) or Bentyl (dicyclomine) new
      #224656 - 11/13/05 04:21 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

I took Bentyl first, then was changed to hyoscyamine, and after being on that for several years, was changed to librax. That has helped a lot more, but it is a lot stronger.

I take 2 forms of hyoscyamine new
      #224657 - 11/13/05 04:32 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Have you tried the hyoscyamine spray? I have one called IBS Stat, and it's super fast-acting for spasm pain attacks.

I take Donnatal tablets too, which have the same hyoscyamine but plus phenobarbital in them (here's the web site). The phenobarb in the pill is supposed to help with the pain, but the spray which doesn't contain it works faster for me, probably because it's absorbed faster in the system.

I take 2 sprays if the IBS Stat if I have an attack. I take one tablet (0.3111 mg hyoscyamine) of the Donnatal before meals, and one before bedtime (4 pills a day). I've only been on it since this summer, but it works really well for me and I haven't had to increase the dose. Good luck--

~nelly~

#224671 - 11/13/05 05:31 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I take the same dosage of Levsin as you, Jen: .125mg. I have the sublingual tabs. I wouldn't dare take a double dose. Just one makes me verrrrrrry drowsy and relaxed. I always sleep well that night. (I gave up on more than one a day after feeling dopey 24/7 because, well, I WAS dopey 24/7 when I took it more than once a day. ) Two might put me into a coma or something! Oh, and it also made me really thirsty.

That's interesting that there's a spray version. I hadn't heard that.

#224735 - 11/14/05 06:46 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

I take .375 mg of Hyoscyamine 2x's a day. I also have the one you put under your tongue and its 125 mg and it's supposed to be taken for a bad attack but for me it does not work. I take the hyoscyamine every morning and night along with an immodium and a phayzyme and so far it seems to be good.I forgot to say that mine are extended release 375 mg.
Hope this helps
Terry

#225049 - 11/15/05 08:00 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I take Nu-Lev (same thing). One didn't help so the Dr. said to take 2 a max of 4 time a day. At the first sign of a cramp I take 2 sub-ling. and usually it nips it in the bud. If I wait too long and the spasms get going, it doesn't stop it, but does ease it a little.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#225063 - 11/15/05 08:27 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Okay. I'm pretty clueless about this medicine. What's it for? When do you use it? I'm IBS-C, and I 'm pretty under control right now using the soluble fiber supplements. But is this medicine something I should check with my doctor about, in case I do have an attack? Thanks.

#225067 - 11/15/05 08:36 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Before I went back on the Elavil, I was using Levsin too. When I had a really bad attack, I would take one and if it didn't work, I would take another one. It helps alot, but I would get a headache, which is a side effect. I think if you take more than one you will just put yourself at more risk of experiencing side effects more than anything else. The more you take the more side effects you will experience.
Take Care!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

they are anti-spasmodics new
      #225309 - 11/15/05 07:40 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

and are supposed to stop/alleviate the bowel spasms that can cause both C and D ... not sure how many C people use them, though?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: they are anti-spasmodics new
      #225404 - 11/16/05 09:50 AM
Blue24

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hey Jen. I use Bentyl only as an as-needed basis. I'll take just one 30 minutes before breakfast and it usually works. I have taken 2 at a time before, mistake. I get really nauseous and lightheaded. One is good. Hope you feel better.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3048 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16232

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review