All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Seasonal allergies and IBS?
      #177081 - 05/06/05 07:49 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know that being sick can affect your IBS, so it kind of make sense that seasonal allergies might affect it too, but I'm throwing this out anyway, in case anyone else has had the same problem and can sympathize with me, because I've been pretty miserable lately.

My seasonal hayfever kicked up about a week ago, and I am, most attractively, a fountain of snot. Right about the same time, I started having D attacks - really violent ones, with me suddenly feeling like I was about to pass out, like I wasn't getting enough air, and then having to run for the bathroom. I haven't had such bad attacks in a year!

I had changed my diet a little, to include more lean proteins instead of so many starches, because I'm watching my weight. I've been fine with that for almost a month now, so I can't see where that caused me problems... and this past week, I've switched back to eating mostly SF foods, and I'm still having D. I'm not under stress, I'm taking my Lexapro, it's not "that time of the month", I'm not sick, and the weather's even been absolutely gorgeous. All I can figure is that it's the abundance of mucous in my body. LOL!

Seriously, though, the timing couldn't be worse... I'm leaving tomorrow for NJ for a week, 9 hours of driving each way. Needless to say, NOW I'm completely freaking out. I've got my imodium and safe stuff to eat and drink, but that's not making me feel a whole lot better. And no, I can't postpone the trip.

Anyway, sorry to go off-topic there... I'm kind of anxious and rambly right now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Abslutely connected! (Some gross mentionables) new
      #177085 - 05/06/05 08:02 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Soooo good to see you Casey *hugs*

Our bods are connected every which way...so it DEF makes sense!

Now...what to do about it and how to get back on track...

This is what I personally would do. Vitmain C, echinacea, calcium, astragalus, TONS of tea and soups, and NO sugar whatsoever. Lots of sleep and comfy things (I like candles, blankets, and books...and soothing music too!) I would also get saline spray for your nose and use it as needed. I know it's runny but is your nose dry inside? If so...put some vaseline on a Q tips and gently apply to the start of the nner rims of your nostrils (got this from Dalia...GREAT tip!) Also...hot and cold compress are great for helping the mucous move as well as nasal rinsing. If I don't get all the gunk out I find it creates more gunk...NOT what you want!

If I think of anything else I'll let you know!

Oh...my natropath has me on something for allergies/mucous. It's a homeopathic remedy. If you want the name I'm happy to share

I hope you get to feeling better SOON...like right about NOW! (Did it work?) Seriously I hope the trip ROCKS!

Sending you lots of love and comfy things,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Oh yeah new
      #177161 - 05/06/05 01:49 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Casey, I agree, that's a definite possibility. As a matter of fact, my IBS has been worse for the past month or so, too, and I really think it's connected to all the allergens in the air. I've also been a... what did you call it... fountain of snot? Lol. All that mucous has been bothering my tummy, too. So I've just reverted to safer foods, almost to the point of the what-to-eat-when-you-can't-eat-anything diet. I would recommend just being very careful until you take your trip. And try not to stress out too much... I know, easier said than done. Just eat carefully and enjoy the fact that soon you'll be getting away for a while. Enjoy your trip!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Seasonal allergies and IBS? new
      #177191 - 05/06/05 03:51 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey casey! that totally makes sense to me too b/c for a little while now my IBS has been at its worst!!! even for the past week now ive been dealing with a migraine that causes nauseasness, horrible bloating and THE WORST cramps ever! b/c i dont really take any allergy meds or any migraine meds for that matter, theres not much in the way of a remedy for me. ive been getting enough sleep, laying down in dark rooms, doing calming activities like cooking and light housework but i just cant shake it! i keep thinking if i keep myself busy, i can ignore it and by itself it will work out but nope!! i dont really have any bad allergies but i DO have very bad breathing problems when the weather changes like MAD which our lovely windy city seems to have been favoring! your trip sounds wonderful but im sorry to hear that youre going to be driving under such painful conditions i even noticed that i had been having some D attacks too!?? which is so wierd b/c i never have D. when i was at my moms i had 3 BMs in the morning and have had a gurgly tummy since and the cramps feel like the kind you get when you take a laxative. it sounds like youre taking control by sticking to SF foods so keep that up! and i guess keep your imodium on hand and try your best to relax~what is your trip for?? NJ sounds pretty neat! i hope you have fun!! post if you can when youre there!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Hmm, yeah-you know...I'm mostly C, but new
      #177209 - 05/06/05 05:19 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

when I'm pulling back the bogies, I tend to go towards D too. Yuck, allergies are hateful, huh?

I just don't usually allow myself to go longer than 24 hours between Reactine pills(Zyrtec in the US.) The odd day I catch myself sniffling because of letting it go too long, I pop a pill right awy and am usually A-OK. But I'm convinced that the reason I get the "squirts" on my first 2 days of a cold is from post nasal drip.

Now I feel sick to my tummy thinking about boogers, lol. I have bronchitis/sinusitis right now that's viral and ugly, but what can you do but wait.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Question new
      #177216 - 05/06/05 06:05 PM
FennelGirl

Reged: 05/05/05

i've often wondered about this, because when your allergies act up, and you get extra snot in the mucoid membranes of your sinuses, does it also trigger extra mucus in your intestine? cause that's mucus membraine also... or is it just from all that mucus dripping from your sinuses and into your stomach? cause i've DEFINITELY noticed a correlation between my IBS and allergies/colds...

sorry if i sound dumb, but i've always wondered that...

Not dumb at all...you're right on! new
      #177218 - 05/06/05 06:09 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Like I said in another post in this thread--our bods are totaly connected. And yep...the stuff drips into our tummies and digestive tracht. In fact as a kid I had too much mucous once to the point I threw it up Yech!

So...not dumb at all...rather smart indeed!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Definitely! new
      #177225 - 05/06/05 07:15 PM
atomic rose

Thanks so much for all the advice! I'd love to hear about the natural allergy remedy that was recommended to you... my problem right now is the only thing I can take for my allergies is Benadryl, and the stuff knocks me right out, which isn't good when I have to get things done. (Or drive 9 hours!)

Echinacea can actually aggravate hayfever in some people, so I'm going to steer clear of that for now... but I think I can do some extra C, at the very least, without it upsetting my tum.

Thanks again! *big hugs* And I do feel a bit better!

Thanks guys! new
      #177226 - 05/06/05 07:19 PM
atomic rose

I'm sorry you all have to deal with it too, but glad I'm not a complete oddball... well, this time, anyway. I really couldn't think of anything else it could have been! Thanks for all the input!

YES! new
      #177259 - 05/07/05 06:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and in my case spring and hay fever and my period all hit at once... I'm miserable... had my first BM in days this AM... and I know I didn't let it all out.... ick!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 676 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3345

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review