Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Updates on Birth Control
      #175536 - 05/01/05 02:27 PM
marija

Reged: 07/02/03
Loc: Highland Park, IL

Hello-

I was reading some old posts (searched) on different types of bc and different people were in different phases. I'm assuming some of you have more/new info that you wouldn't mind sharing. My *disclaimer* is that I'm seeing my doc next week about this, so don't feel like you're giving medical advice, just want to hear experiences. I guess what I'd like to hear is:

-What you are on
-How long you've been on it
-What was PMS (indicate if there was none) and IBS like before this one.
-What these are like now, and if you feel the bc had any effect on it
-Other general comments, including previous bc you were on and why you switched

I am 34 and thinking about going on bc for the first time. Not for avoiding preg, although that's a nice side-effect, but mostly to try to manage my hormones, which are all crazy. I have terrible PMS with bloating and huge breasts, emotional, cravings, cramps. I don't get acne too bad but I'm on a very strict skin care regime which keeps it in check.

The two biggest things I'm concerned about is gaining weight and lowering sex drive (increase it, if possible).

I'm thinking about: Ortho Evro (the patch), Yasmin or Alesse.

Your replies would be most helpful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Updates on Birth Control new
      #175537 - 05/01/05 02:37 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hello!

Birth control is my friend!
ok.. so I've been on it since I was 18.. so five almost six years.

Anyways.. my ibs has been the same.. and as for my pms.. I honestly can't tell because I've been on birthcontrol for so long, I don't remember what it was like without it.

my cramps have lessened though.. which is a plus.

I started out on triphasil and was fine, but my doctor took me off of it because they thought it was stupid for me to be taking so much estrogen at 18, 19 years old.

So then I switched to Aleese, and I actually lost 10 pounds miraculously going on that.. I think it was the drop in the estrogen levels. I ended up going of aleese in less than a year because if you miss a pill by even one hour you get annoying breakthru bleeding, because it is so low estrogen. Anyways... I couldn't stick to such a strict schedule..

so for the last few years i've been on Mircette and I love it. I think my pms has lessened since starting mircette in comparison to the other two pills.. and no breakthru bleeding at all.

good luck.

--------------------

#175538 - 05/01/05 02:38 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I was on the patch for a little while ago about 2 years ago, pre-IBS diagnosis. I didn't like it because it did the same thing to me as DepoProvera (the shot). Both of them made me depressed. All of my emotions - the bad ones and the good ones - were deadened. It also made me very dry down there. And oh yeah, it worked great as birth control...because both the patch and the shot made me feel like I'd never be interested in sex again. But I know for other women, the patch is great and they have none of these side effects.

#175542 - 05/01/05 02:59 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I have been on Lo/Ovral for eight years now to reduce the problems I was having from ovarian cysts that were extremely excruciating at the time, but my IBS can cause worse cramping and pain. I LOVE THIS PILL!!!! I actually lost weight when I started taking it, but then after about 3 months, I started gaining weight-unfortunately all in the breasts (went from a D to and F/G cup). I haven't really had any problems with PMS from taking the pill until my period this month. Course, I am trying to get stablized and everything didn't go well. After talking with my doctor we are going to have me take the pill straight for two months and not take the placebo pill and see how things go for then after six weeks. If things are miserable then, I will be taking the pill straight for four months, have a period and then repeat.

Right now I feel my pill does a great job for me, and hopefully after I am stablized and my period happens things will be easier. At least that is what I am hoping for.

Hope that helps.

-Michelle

#175562 - 05/01/05 05:32 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I can't take estrogen because I bleed every day of the month and get migraines. So all estrogen pills are out for me. I've been on every orthos available in the US, plus others and the minipill to boot, but all contain too much estrogen for me to have any real quality of life.

BUT! I've been on the depo shot (one shot every 3 months) for 6 years. Costs less than the pill (about $160 a year) and my last period as a result was August 1999! I went on it not as birth control, but to control the pain from endometriosis. It's worked 100% for both (no period=no pain and also no pms, yeaaa!!), and I highly recommend it!!

~nelly~

#175564 - 05/01/05 05:42 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

I went on Loestrin (now the generic Lo-estrin) for terrible PMS. I actually have PMDD pre-menstrual disphoric disorder. I was totally unable to function. Terrible cramps, bloating, moods and 3 out 4 weeks I was miserable. I don't get a period at all on Lo-estrin and my weight stayed stable. As far as IBS-there was really no change.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

#175572 - 05/01/05 06:35 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I've been on a few different bc pills. I started on triphasil which I had some bad side-effects with (mood swings, nauseau etc) which my doc attributed to the fact that there are 3 different hormone levels in the pills on a "tri" pack. So, I switched to the monophasic Demulen, which didn't cause any bad side-effects but didn't really help me either (I have endometriosis so I was lookign for something to help me with those symptoms).

Now I'm on Min-Ovral which works really well, I'm able to take it consecutively for up to 7 months without a period or breakthrough bleeding which really helps my endometriosis and IBS symptoms. I think it's pretty high in estrogen though (compared to others) so it may not be what you're looking for if you're not planning on skipping periods. I didn't gain any weight on it or have any bad side-effects.

Good luck!

#175573 - 05/01/05 06:37 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I've been on DepoProvera for a year and three months, I'm like Nelly, I can't do estrogen stuff, or else I'm practically incapacitated for at least 2 days a month. It helps my IBS tremendously, since mine are affected by hormones. I've never really had PMS (I know I'm incredibly lucky in that respect). And a plus is no periods for the past year!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#175582 - 05/01/05 07:43 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi marjia

I'm on ortho-evra and so far I really like it. I've been on it since September. Before that I was on Allesse for about a year. I didn't have any problems with the Allesse except that I initially gained about 10 pounds and for the first month or so my mood swings were insane, but that all evened out after about a month.

My doctor switched me to the patch to see if it would help my IBS (because there is actually lactose in most pills and because the patch bypasses the digestive system) - but I can't say there's much difference with my IBS. However, I do like better simply for the convenience, since you don't have to take a pill every night! The only side effects I got was a little bit of nausea right after I started it but that subsided right away. No weight gain on this one, no affect on sex drive on either of them. I do get some breakthrough bleeding on the patch though (much more lately actually...hmmm). I know some people who have got rashes and such from it though, so that's a possibility.

I had really easy periods and no PMS before the pill/patch and same after so I can't be of much help there. I do get cramps sometimes, but definitely manageable, pretty much the same as before. Guess I'm pretty lucky there.

As for effects of bc on IBS, this is something I'm very curious about. My IBS started about 2 years ago in conjunction with a) going on the pill, b) following a round of antibiotics, and c) moving in with someone/moving to a new city/starting university. Who knows where the cause is there. I haven't been off bc since but I'd like to try it sometime to see if it helps my IBS...

My answers new
      #175596 - 05/01/05 09:32 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

-What you are on? ***I'm on Marvelon, also called OrthoCept. How long you've been on it*** Ihave been basically for 10 years, it's great.

-What was PMS (indicate if there was none) and IBS like before this one.*** PMS, I don't know, was never too emotional. My periods were utter hell, 8-12 days of heavy bleeding, and I pooped like a goose.
-What these are like now, and if you feel the bc had any effect on it***My periods are now reduced to heck, they last 5-7 days instead, and are lighter but still heavy, and my IBS goes from C to D still every month.
-Other general comments, including previous bc you were on and why you switched I had tried a BCP that reduced acne right after k was born, and it was expensive...I think it was Diane...and it was horrid, it made me gain and I felt gross. I'd never do it again.

HTH!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2440 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3840

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review