All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS flares at night
      #129377 - 12/09/04 08:21 PM
dmb

Reged: 12/09/04

I have mild IBS, which was gone for several months, but the last two weeks has come back every evening. I had eliminated sorbitol from my diet and thought that was the solution, but now there is no pattern to the flare-ups other than they only happen after dinner. It does not seem to matter what I eat or if I don't eat at all. Does anyone have a similar issue (only happening at night, goes away in a few hours, seemingly no food cause?)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS flares at night new
      #129379 - 12/09/04 08:35 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

What are you symptoms? For example are your flare ups tummy pain? Bloating? Gas? To do with BMs? I get terrible bloating at night if I eat too much, or have eaten too much over the course of the day.

Tell me more and I'll see whether I can help.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

#129383 - 12/09/04 09:07 PM
dmb

Reged: 12/09/04

Gas and bloating are my main symptoms. I can feel gas moving and its in the lower abdomen. My diet throughout the day is low calorie and low fat (about 1500-1600 calories/day).

#129392 - 12/09/04 10:49 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I read somewhere that bloating can be triggered simply by the act of eating, and it can often be irrelevant of what you eat. This is the bloating I suffer, usually after lunch and always after dinner. And the more I eat, the more I'm bloated. Unfortunately the person who did the study could offer no solutions Perhaps try the fennel/ peppermint tea which is good for gas, or some gas-eze tablets (smithecone). Other then that..... welcome to my fruturating world of tummy bloat! I'm yet to find something that works for me

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

#129395 - 12/10/04 12:22 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Hi there, I have the same symptoms as Taylahmai - bloating after lunch which gets worse after dinner, especially if I eat too big portions, eat too fast or have not moved around enough during the day. My trick, when I am lying in pain in bed, is to use a hot water bottle. I wrap it in a towel and place it on my lower abdomen and fall asleep with it. I think it relaxes the muscles, but also gives me a sense of comfort (pysche is important in fighting the ibs symptoms!). Maybe this can help you as well?

#129396 - 12/10/04 12:34 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi! I don't bloat very much but I do get terrible pain most often at night. I love my hot water bottle. I do the same as mary. Pop it on my tummy. I think it's a comfort thing for me too. Kind of like a security blanket. I hate summer when it's too hot to have it!

--------------------
Amy

#129422 - 12/10/04 03:49 AM
Okies

Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: Oklahoma

Mine is worse in the evening also, what I have found is putting the heating pad on my tummy helps,

Billie Jo

--------------------
Billie Jo

Just wanted to mention... new
      #129595 - 12/10/04 01:45 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

The hot water bottle is a great idea, and really works. Also, stop sleeping with pajama bottoms or undies or anything with an elastic. Sounds naughty, but it works to stop attacks.

Even a loose elastic provokes my night attacks, which is weird, as I stay fully clothed after lunch with no problems. But as soon as I stopped wearing nightclothes below the waist (i do a nightgown or long shirt instead now) I stopped having the dreaded night attacks. For me those were worse than the dreaded morning attacks because they were more aggressive, painful, and time consuming.

Good luck!

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2248 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15946

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review