All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question for those with Constipation
      #113689 - 10/18/04 01:54 AM
toffee

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: UK

Here's a slightly different question for all those who regularly suffer from constipation. When you do 'go', do you have any techniques for making things a bit easier ? What is the best position to sit when on the toilet ? I have tried everything from sitting bolt upright to leaning right forward with my head between my knees, and I find that probably the most effective way is to sit up straight with my buttocks pulled well apart. Do you find that any particular time of the day is better, or do you just go whenever ? Is it better to have a warm drink during or beforehand ? Is there anything you do to help you relax ? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for those with Constipation new
      #113708 - 10/18/04 06:12 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there....

I can't say there's any particular position I sit in.....but I know that if you start getting in the habit of "going" the same time each day then that makes things easier. Even if you don't feel like you need to go you should still sit on the toilet at around the same time everyday and it will train your body to start "going".

I usually bring a book or a magazine to help pass the time!!

Good Luck!!

#113717 - 10/18/04 07:26 AM
toffee

Quote:

I usually bring a book or a magazine to help pass the time!!

I can certainly relate to that - I do more reading on the toilet than anywhere else. I even put up a bookshelf there last year ! On average I would say that it takes me about 30 to 45 minutes to complete a bowel movement, but it only happens about once every 5 days or so.

#113718 - 10/18/04 07:30 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

If I am having a difficult time eliminating after drinking a cup of hot tea...sometimes it is right there and it just won't come out, I rock back and forth (such a pretty topic) and it seems to come forth. Just be careful not to press too hard...you can tear yourself.

I have been using stevia-plus in my tea every morning...it does wonders!

#113729 - 10/18/04 08:00 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I can relate. Before I started miralax, I was the same way! My butt would go numb from sitting there so long! Be sure you are drinking a ton of water. I know everyone says that but the longer your stool stays inside your colon, the more time it has to dry out and the harder it is to pass! Try drinking something hot and going for a walk, or some other exercise, first thing in the am.

Are you getting enough insoluble fiber in your diet? You may want to slowly increase your insolubles a bit and see if that helps. Also, you can take peri-colace, its an over the counter stool softner. Its not a laxative and is ok to take for prolong periods of time. My mom has taken 4 a day for YEARS!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

LOL Rachel new
      #113759 - 10/18/04 09:23 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can totally relate to the "rocking back and forth" ...hahaha...imagine how silly we must look while sitting on the toilet

For Toffee-question for those with Constipation new
      #113875 - 10/18/04 04:12 PM
puddytat55

Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

I read in a magazine a suggestion that doctors tell their geriatric patients who often have consitipation...sit on the toilet like normal, the lift your legs off the floor and bring them up at a 90 degree angle to your upright body (ps-you will look like half of a square if you remember geometry!) or you can tilt your upper body a bit back toward the wall as you move your legs up-this position somehow changes the angle of your intestines to the rectum and makes it easier to eliminate-I've done it many times and hope I described it in an ok way....!

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

Re: LOL Rachel new
      #113972 - 10/19/04 02:57 AM
toffee

Quote:

I can totally relate to the "rocking back and forth" ...hahaha...imagine how silly we must look while sitting on the toilet

Yep, do that every time - up and down as well as backwards and forwards ! Also grab hold of the rail when making a big effort. I don't know if it helps, but when you are desperate for relief you'll try anything. How many different grunting noises are there ? Such a nice conversation...!

Option which works for me... squeemish need not read-- new
      #114011 - 10/19/04 08:16 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

All of these posts are good!! I use the knees at a 45 degree angle method, even using a low bench in front of the toilet to rest my feet on.

This other method works great for me, and I've recently been doing this: poking my fingers at the peri-anal skin during my push, to guide the excretion out towards the anus from the outside. Usually the stool is right there, and just can't broach my sphincter muscle. Maneuvering it into place with a sustained poke at my skin only takes a moment, and it helps for it to pass.

It's a lot less invasive than trying to segment the stool with my inserted finger for easier passage. And although my hands do get wet from urine during my pushes, they're a lot easier to clean afterward than if I had to scrape feces out from under my nail. With this method, I've also been able to limit the times I do get a "blossom," a prolapse, when the rectum pokes through the anus.

Sorry for all the biology.

~nelly~

I agree... new
      #114017 - 10/19/04 08:31 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Sitting stright up is the best position, however occasionally I lean forward for a minute or two and then sit straight up... if I'm having a hard time getting it out all the way. I also keep hand-held video games at every toilet in the house. They help me to relax, which also helps in going. One doctor told me that I should never sit for less than a half an hour if I'm having trouble. If I am lucky enough to have one BM befor the half hour is up, I should sit until I have a second. That way you're able to get what's waiting at the top of the left colon as well.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2026 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2622

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review