All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Does anyone know...
      #102340 - 08/29/04 10:42 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

what causes tight clothing like jeans to cause attacks? What does it actually do to your body to cause one? It doesnt make sense to me but I know it can happen! I put some jeans on for the first time in a long time last night and within an hour or so I was feelin like crap! Just curious??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Tight jeans UGH...... new
      #102343 - 08/29/04 10:47 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I can't tolerate any tight clothes around my waist. I usually wear pants that have elastic waistbands (soft elastic). Usually I wear knit pants that are very soft and comfy. I haven't worn jeans in years.

I think the problem is that something tight around the stomach area is pressing on everything inside.....we surely don't need that with everything else that's going on inside already. After eating, something tight would really cause trouble, I would think.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Does anyone know... new
      #102348 - 08/29/04 10:52 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm guessing it's probably the pressure around the waist, like Barbie said. I can't figure out why else it would do that. I've noticed it a little... I'm fine with low-rise jeans, even tight ones, but if I put on a vintage dress and it's tight *right* at my waist, I feel pretty crappy within minutes. Darn uncooperative bodies!

#102350 - 08/29/04 10:56 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Isn't great the clothing industry invented hip huggers and low rise jeans. I hear you about tight jeans - I don't wear pants around my waist anymore. I love hip huggers and I'm too old for low rise. My boys don't need to see me walking around their school wearing low rise with my stomach showing.

Re: Tight jeans UGH...... new
      #102370 - 08/29/04 12:34 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I totally agree. I only wear low cut jeans, undies, trousers, etc. cos the regular ones cause attacks. This was the first trigger I noticed at age 12, too, btw!

I recently posted about night attacks in this regard! I cut down on night attacks by stripping from the waist down when I sleep. I found that my pajama bottoms were actually CAUSING attacks at night. This really worked for me, fyi for people who suffer night attacks.

All my best,

~nelly~

#102372 - 08/29/04 12:35 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I second the tightness at the waist- I have been a lot worse in pants then other things... its why I wear waistfree dresses all the time.. works well for work, and looks nice without worrying about being tight...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Tight jeans UGH...... new
      #102415 - 08/29/04 04:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

I cut down on night attacks by stripping from the waist down when I sleep. I found that my pajama bottoms were actually CAUSING attacks at night. This really worked for me, fyi for people who suffer night attacks.

Luckily I already did this. I have never been able to sleep with pants- except cold camping. But it is funny that someone else feels this way.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Another Question about jeans..... new
      #102448 - 08/29/04 07:46 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Does anyone actually get a full attack with D and everything from wearing them?? Or is it just more uncomfortable? I think Im going to stay away from jeans for awhile - Ill just have to do some shopping! Thanks for the replies!

Re: Another Question about jeans..... new
      #102456 - 08/29/04 08:19 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I just find it's more uncomfortable, personally. I can't have anything constricting from about 2" above my navel to about 1" below it... the pressure just feels awful.

Incidentally, 99% of the time, I wear "yoga pants" or something similar. I wear jeans once or twice a week, maybe, and I usually change out of them as soon as I get home - even though I'm cool with the low-rise ones, it's just way more comfortable to be in something with stretch.

#102468 - 08/29/04 08:54 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Before I had even heard of IBS, I knew something was terribly wrong with me when I almost passed out from the pain caused by the bridesmaid dress I was wearing in my best friend's wedding. It was tight around the waist but not too small on me, but WOW did it hurt like crazy. The pain went all the way up my back and around my body -- really the worst pain attack I've ever had, I think. I couldn't eat or dance at the wedding, and made several trips to the bathroom trying to relieve myself, but I could only tinkle. It was horrible. I had my friend unzip my dress in the cab ride home and walked through the Hilton with my dress unzipped and my shawl wrapped around me. We got up to our hotel room and found the key card didn't work. I literally slid down the door, collapsed on the floor, and started bawling. Thankfully my friend went down and got a new key. I couldn't even wash my face that night or take out the 2348098234 bobby pins. I slipped out of the dress and passed out. My whole abdomen ached for a good 2 days. I know now that it was caused by the tight dress, the fried appetizers, and all the champage. So yes ... long answer to your short question ... I do get pain from tight-waisted things. Like the other girls on this board I mostly wear very low rise jeans (sometimes too low -- have you ever tried to sit on a barstool with low jeans and a normal length shirt? It's IMPOSSIBLE not to flash some butt cleavage!). Anything around my waist for too long makes me achy, but I rarely get D anymore since being on the diet. I also think that's probably why my tummy often hurts in church -- I usually wear waist-height skirts and in the winter, pantyhose. Perhaps I need to look into dresses and knee-highs!
Anyway sorry for the rant. I was a bad girl tonight and had a big slice of pizza -- cross your fingers that I make it through the night without D!
Hope you feel better soon,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3307 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9791

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review